Users who are viewing this thread

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I know enough about drywalling to know its an art form & let a pro do it
I will mud closets & kitchen walls where cabinets or tile will cover the walls
Plus the cathedral ceiling as I will be putting up some sort of wood over the drywall

I'm a Mod on another site
But most I usually have to do is get rid of spam & duplicate posts/threads

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys. I just got 34 sheets home and unloaded myself. Nobody told me this stuff was heavy.

Phew.

I'll rest today and carry on with the remodel tomorrow.

I calculated the combined weight as over 2000 pounds.

I rented a Chevy truck with a 1500 pound load capacity and it did the job just fine. Very impressive.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I came very close to death.

I needed to go to bed afterwards. I have just woken up. My arms and legs have not ached like this in years.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My legs feel like they are on fire and my arms feel longer than they used to.

mba0815l.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ian,
Think of the pros hanging 4x12 sheets of 5/8" on the ceilings.
That stuff is heavy.

That's why, when someone mentions building a home, I tell them,
When it gets time for drywall, take a vacation and let them do it.

It's hard work.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, when we bought our first house when I was much younger, lol, he was called away for months for a job, and I was left with a nearly, gutted out kitchen. I taught myself how to drywall. One thing I learned was to make sure those sheets are plumb, nice and straight. Lay them over night flat in a place not humid. The walls were easy because I just measured everything first, cutting out the outlets, switches, etc, but the ceiling my dad came over and did for me.

Then, 13 years later, I bought the money pit. Not too long ago, I was left to do a ceiling. Alone. My girlfriend and I had taken a table, used that as a ladder. I measured exact where I was going to screw it into the ceiling. It was so much easier to drill the screw holes while laying down in front of me. I had the girlfriend hold the sheet into place and with the prescrewed holes, oh, Ian, I also, prescrewed into the stud... so, I just matched the holes and screwed the screw in. It didn't seem to take longer to do either because I wasn't hurting my arms trying to screw upwards into something. I was just screwing the screw in. Lots of easier for me, just took alittle time to premeasure where the holes were going on the sheet.

It worked for me.

Cookie

Reaction score
I almost forgot, when all finished we got cleaned up, went to the Olive Garden and drank an huge amount of wine, toasting drinks to my ceiling, all 10 sheets. :)
This is the most important part.

Cookie

Reaction score
Just one other pointer, if it can be called that, or maybe it is not even right but, this worked for me. When I installed the counter top to the sink and I had to cut out for the faucet I taped it then, I cut. So, I applied this to cutting the drywall, too. I noticed it kept it from getting chewed up alittle. I switched blades after a few cuts, too. I always made sure that blade was sharp. My girlfriend didn't much appreciate that since she was holding the drywall, lol, but like I told her, "better a straight sharp, clean cut than a ragged one, easier to stitch." um, you don't want to know how I know this, lol.

Cookie

Reaction score
If you do use the tape, I hope you knew I used the painters tape so it didn't stick hard and was easy when finished and hung to peel off. It didn't mar the sheet, but I think it aided in cutting it nicely. Maybe, just my imagination, but I tried it with it or without it. Plus, when I snapped the sheet off it didn't crumble at all. No mess. Sorry to bother you, :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips everyone and some useful advice there Cookie, thank you.

I am still not quite ready to drywall yet. Today I pulled cable for some receptacles and tomorrow I need to think about telephone and cable outlets.

After that, just maybe, I'll be ready to put the "plasterboard" up (that's what we English call it).

And we call "faucets" - "taps". You would not believe the blank looks I got when I first arrived here and asked for a "tap".

"Receptacles" are "sockets". That drew a blank look too.

And we call "shopping carts" "trolleys". That made a few people laugh the first time I went to Safeway and asked for a "trolley".

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Trolley's, that is cute. :) I call them buggy's and I am pretty sure that might date me here in the states. I have lived pretty much all over the states, and even here in the US they speak another form of English. My town clearly, has their own. Early in the 70's when I got my first class license radio&telegraph, I traveled alot and I enjoyed the differences in language. New Zealand is another country with a language difference that is enjoyable. I am pretty sure they call drywall also, plasterboard or sheetrock. They call their sink counter a bench, and that confused the heck out of me, I kept looking for a seat. Sockets, yeah, my dad taught me to call them sockets... I haven't thought of that word in years. I have heard in the south people sayiing, in regards to the faucets, " to open the taps."

Last edited:

Agu

Reaction score
I am taking a week off work next week to begin putting up the drywall in my basement. I have ordered lots of gizmos to help me with this. Any comments on any of them would be appreciated.

You prove the assertion, " The only reason for DIY is an excuse to buy more tools". ;)

Did the same drywalling job with a corded drill, T square, retractable knife, hole saw and several sizes of putty knives.

Don't skimp on the outlets/receptacles, they're cheap and hard to retrofit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks