(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drywallin'

Just one other pointer, if it can be called that, or maybe it is not even right but, this worked for me. When I installed the counter top to the sink and I had to cut out for the faucet I taped it then, I cut. So, I applied this to cutting the drywall, too. I noticed it kept it from getting chewed up alittle. I switched blades after a few cuts, too. I always made sure that blade was sharp. My girlfriend didn't much appreciate that since she was holding the drywall, lol, but like I told her, "better a straight sharp, clean cut than a ragged one, easier to stitch." um, you don't want to know how I know this, lol.

If you do use the tape, I hope you knew I used the painters tape so it didn't stick hard and was easy when finished and hung to peel off. It didn't mar the sheet, but I think it aided in cutting it nicely. Maybe, just my imagination, but I tried it with it or without it. Plus, when I snapped the sheet off it didn't crumble at all. No mess. Sorry to bother you,

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Thanks for all the tips everyone and some useful advice there Cookie, thank you.

I am still not quite ready to drywall yet. Today I pulled cable for some receptacles and tomorrow I need to think about telephone and cable outlets.

After that, just maybe, I'll be ready to put the "plasterboard" up (that's what we English call it).

And we call "faucets" - "taps". You would not believe the blank looks I got when I first arrived here and asked for a "tap".

"Receptacles" are "sockets". That drew a blank look too.

And we call "shopping carts" "trolleys". That made a few people laugh the first time I went to Safeway and asked for a "trolley".
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-11-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Trolley's, that is cute. I call them buggy's and I am pretty sure that might date me here in the states. I have lived pretty much all over the states, and even here in the US they speak another form of English. My town clearly, has their own. Early in the 70's when I got my first class license radio&telegraph, I traveled alot and I enjoyed the differences in language. New Zealand is another country with a language difference that is enjoyable. I am pretty sure they call drywall also, plasterboard or sheetrock. They call their sink counter a bench, and that confused the heck out of me, I kept looking for a seat. Sockets, yeah, my dad taught me to call them sockets... I haven't thought of that word in years. I have heard in the south people sayiing, in regards to the faucets, " to open the taps."
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-13-2009 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    I am taking a week off work next week to begin putting up the drywall in my basement. I have ordered lots of gizmos to help me with this. Any comments on any of them would be appreciated.
    You prove the assertion, " The only reason for DIY is an excuse to buy more tools".

Did the same drywalling job with a corded drill, T square, retractable knife, hole saw and several sizes of putty knives.

Don't skimp on the outlets/receptacles, they're cheap and hard to retrofit.