(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clicking yesterday, today nothing?

Default Clicking yesterday, today nothing?

Please help! yesterday I was watering out by the well and everything was working fine, except I could here it clicking every minute or so. This morning I have no water. My voltage tester shows power on all post of the grey switch, but I don't here any clicking or anything. It is a 1.5 horse sub pump with a Frankiln sticker on the box. What can I try next?

Are the points closed? Do you have power at the well?

You have a control box, so you'll have to trouble shoot it, and first the cable to the well and pump, the motor's windings, check for shorts etc..

http://www.franklin-electric.com/bus...M/page-43.aspx
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Did you push the red reset buttons under the control box (Franklin box)?

Thank You, Thank You! I had not seen that red button before. I had to push it hard but the pump started right up. Water seems to working fine now. Does this mean my pump is wearing out?

Having to push a reset button says there was an electrical problem of some kind. I've never seen a control box with a reset button... But then most folks where I'm from use 2 wire pumps.

I'd check out the pump electrically to make sure there isn't something wrong that you could catch before the reset button doesn't 'fix' a no water problem in the future. I'd call it preventative maintenance, or good planning.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

The clicking you are hearing is the pump cycling on and off. This is probably what caused the overload to trip and will also is what usually destroys pumps. A Cycle Stop Valve will stop the pump from cycling and make you pump system last much longer.

Will the cycle valve work with my tank, or do I need a smaller tank? Mine says wx251 and is about 4' tall.

A CSV will work with any size tank. But when that one goes bad, you can replace it with as small as the 4.4 gallon tank in the picture above.

Have you checked your air charge in your tank? It could also be low and cause increased starts/stops.

The pump comes on at 40 and off at 62. There was still 34 air in the tank when the water was out. Could this be the reason the pump is clicking every 40 to 50 seconds when I am running water?

You have to measure the air pressure with no water in the tank. If you measure it without shutting off the pump and depressurizing the system, you measure water pressure. So your water pressure gauge should read the same pressure as the air pressure gauge until you drain the tank; then you measure only air pressure.

You should have 39-38 psi air pressure with no water in the tank.

I did check the tank air when the pump was off and I had no water coming out. It showed 34. Will adding air to 39-38 make it quit clicking so much?

Adding 4 or 5 PSI more air is not going to make much difference. The clicking is caused by your pump producing more water than you are using. If you turn on enough faucets, the clicking will stop because the pump will run continuously. You either have to use this much water EVERY TIME you run water or, use a Cycle Stop Valve. The CSV will make the pump produce only the amount you are using, so the cycling or "clicking" will stop and the pump will last much longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    I did check the tank air when the pump was off and I had no water coming out. It showed 34. Will adding air to 39-38 make it quit clicking so much?
    No but it will help your tank to last longer.

I have been reading about the Cycle Valve. Which one would be the best for my pump?