Toilet noises!

Users who are viewing this thread

gaz1234

Reaction score
Have spent quite some time on this now!

Toilet started making squeeking and vibrating noises from the ball cock (think that what you call it) and valve area. Recently caused after the cold taps have been turned off after being on hard and long.
If the ball cock arm was held up by hand and taps turned on and off then the noise goes away, so, i replaced the ball cock unit (torbex i think) and the noise went away (each time for a few hours or day). Now, today the vibrating noise has gone but there is a contant squeeking noise again coming from the tobex unit (bottom entry) and not sure what to try. Ideas?

I've adjusted the value by the toilet and the main cold tap but the noise wont go.
Also there has always been small amounts of water coming out of the top of the 2x torbex units in the toilet and a small amount constantly dripping into the toilet basin.

Woudl it be worth buying a better torbex unit or getting a better plumber (already had one who kept saying its an air lock). He was adamant that i needed to use the High Pressure valve in the torbex which i did. Would it be worth using the LP one?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would get a Fluidmaster 400 fill valve and a new braided stainless steel supply line get a longer supply line and loop it rather than bend / kink it...I have never heard of an air locked toilet in my life...What is your water pressure?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where are you located? Most of us are in the US, so brand name availability may differ quite a bit. Sounds sort of British...not sure what's available there.

gaz1234

Reaction score
I would get a Fluidmaster 400 fill valve and a new braided stainless steel supply line get a longer supply line and loop it rather than bend / kink it...I have never heard of an air locked toilet in my life...What is your water pressure?

How do i find out the water pressure?

rwcarpenter

Reaction score
I had a similar squealing noise in one of my toilets...more of a squawl really in my case, I changed the ballcock, then the whole assembly, and it still made the awful sound when filling. I decided to investigate the shut off valve, and on the toilet side of the valve it had a flat bit of solder in the valve where the compression fitting went on that was undoubtedly vibrating when water flowed passed it. The valve screws on to a stainless steel stub but the lines in the wall are copper...so it came from upstream somewhere, it was small enough to get into the valve, but too large to go into the toilet fill line. I took a towel and put over the valve and opened for short bursts and after a couple the solder was gone. My toilet now fills quicker and it does it quietly.

Last edited:

gaz1234

Reaction score
think its sorted, the 2nd torbeck was also not put together correctly, hennce the leak. no noise now although a small noise when you sit on it, like there is a problem with the pressure or pipe and torbeck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks