Distribution Header

Users who are viewing this thread

clemkonan

Reaction score
I am trying to understand if its just me or if others agree that houses should be piped using a functional distribution header which will allow water to be easily shut off to different parts of the home .

For example a leg would supply kitchen so that if I wanted I could attach a distilled water unit on that line and easily provide distilled water to the kitchen. Of course the most immediate benefit would be the ease with which one cut cut water to one area of the home do a repair on another leg and not inconvenience a lot of folks.

I would still keep my shut offs at source for example leg 2 could supply the upstairs bathrooms and I would want a shut off on the flush and the shower.

would be nice to hear from the experts.

And yes you can buy a $400,000 house and not get a shut off on the flush.

Regards

Clemkonan

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Good idea but remember, it's all about the money. Most houses are built by contractors that want to get things done as cheap, ok inexpensive as possible.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I'm talking about a typical system. 3/4" hot and cold mains with 1/2" branches and recirc line back to the heater in a very basic description.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stops

Two problems with your design, besides the cost.
1. The average plumber servicing the house would not know about them or where they are located. And even if he did know they were installed, he would probably prefer to use an alternate means of shut off to avoid problems with them, (see reason #2.)

2. The majority of those manifold valves are fairly poor quality and do not endure many on/off cycles before they fail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks