Old pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Nettlewarbler

Reaction score
Hello all , i pulled the washer out yesterday , as water was showing on the plyboard base underneath . I don't know when the pipework was fitted , but it must be at least 10 years old . I has a washer connection for both hot and cold pipes . only the blue connection ( for the cold pipe is being used ) . but the red one is already there . there is also a T- Piece about 4 inchs along the 15mm copper pipe . This is where the leak was from , the middle part of the T-Piece . It had a Stop cap ( if thats the name , something to blank off the T and make it perform like a straight coupler ) . I am not planning on putting anything else from the T-Piece , Garden Tap etc , and when i nipped the nut up to stop the leak it was very tight , i was praying i did'nt strip the thred . i was thinking of taking it out all together , Can i Re-Use the nut whats there now just undo the nut pull the copper pipe out and then put a new pipe in with a new olive using the old nut thats there now . or will i have to replace the lot . thanks .

Nettlewarbler

Reaction score
Just for instance , can you take a piece of old copper pipe from a straight compression fitting . put a new olive on another new piece of copper pipe and replace the old original pipe , but still use the old nut on the end of the original fitting . Do you understand that better .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A more understandable name would be the compression ring...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks