(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Vacuum Pressure Breaker Part 2

Hybrid View

Default Vacuum Pressure Breaker Part 2

Hi I posted a question about 2 weeks ago on a leaking wilkins vacuum pressure breaker. The breaker was spraying water out the top. Bought a wilkins repair kit and replacement bonnet.
    When I saw the new bonnet at the store I could tell the old one was clearly damaged. It was bent upward.Now I understand why the canopy was cracked amd I had such a difficult time lining its screw holes with the bonnet.So I assume by the time I had the system winterized last year(done later than usual in Nov here in NJ),water had already froze in the system.
    I replaced all the above and water is still spraying out the top of the breaker. Don't know if the placement of the poppet in the spring is the cause. I placed the spring in first and then sort put the poppet in it.
    The breaker body itself shows no cracks or signs of leaking.
    Any suggestions are appreciated. Am ready to pull out my hair.

Default Pvb

If it froze, then the surface that the poppet seals against is "domed" so it cannot seal. The fact that the screws do not fit reinforces that diagnosis. A new brass cap will cure it.

I am thinking new,new.new.....Let us know,,,,,,,,Upper

Default Replacing pressure vacuum breaker

I assume the brass canopy is the same thing as the bonnet. I replaced that and while it has reduced the leaking significantly water is still spraying around the outer circumference of the bonnet. So I'm fearing the threads on the breaker itself are damaged.Looks like I'll need to replace the whole unit.
    As is obvious from my questions I'm not a plumber. Where do I saw the PVC pipe?

Thanks for any help.

pictures would help

The bonnet on the Wilkins Pressure Vacuum Breakers is brass, the canopy is plastic piece on top. You can see a PDF of the parts breakdown that might be helpful here: http://www.sprinkler.com/files/720A%...ir%20Parts.pdf
    By the way is it a 420 or a 720?
    If I were to guess what the problem is I would say that the housing is warped and a whole new unit is needed.
    Like tomm said, pictures could be helpful.