dirty water after replacing well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

anitanewman

Reaction score
our well pump was hit by lightning and had to be replaced. We originally had a jet pump and we were told we could put in a submersible pump to get better water pressure. After the installation we were told to run the water in the house for awhile to get rid of the sediments, rust etc in it. It took a while but the water finally ran clean. We have a sediment bypass filter in the basement that we usually have to change between 1-3 months depending on precipitation conditions. the filter turned black and had mud in the holder. We changed it but the next day we had the same problem and have had this problem everyday for the last 3 days. The water appears clear in washing machine, toilet, sinks. We have never had this problem before and have lived here for 30 years and have had the pump replaced twice before ( but it was a jet pump) I believe our well is 80" deep with a water table of 10" (we always have a high water table) The pump installed is a myers pump .5 horsepower, 8gpm,10 amps. Our very well trusted plumber is at a loss as to what caused this situation. I believe He said he can cut the pipe another 5 feet. we have clay soil in this area. Someone told us this happens with the new installation because of the disturbance but again we have had 2 pumps installed prior to this (jet) and never had this problem. Well I think I've given you all the info I know hope you have some ideas.
thanks
Anita Newman

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Take the cartridge out of the filter and run water out a garden hose for a few hours without letting the well run dry and see what happens then.

A submersible pump can stir up sediment in the well each time it turns on, a jet pump doesn't do that. The other thing is the submersible is moving more water and faster so it may be cleaning sediment out of the water line from the well.

Hopefully the filter is after the pressure tank and not between it and the well.

anitanewman

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i was afraid it was that we changed from jet to submersible. when my husband comes home we will try the garden hose idea. i know the filter is after the pressure tank but not sure of the well position. i think it's tank,well, filter. i'm just a novice learning alot as things go wrong unfortunately. what do we do short of pulling the pump out if that doesn't work? thanks so much
anita

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
With a submersible pump, it acts like a plunger when it pulled or placed in a well. Since the well never had a submersible in it, there may be a little build up in the well.
Like Gary said, just run the water, It should clear up in a few days.

Travis

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks