(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! He did not hot mop!

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    If you live on the west coast, they'd say that hotmop is the best thing going. I think that's mostly because they have access to cheap labor for the messy, stinky, way of doing things. A liner costs more in materials and requires more skill to get the preslope and setting bed in without damaging or incorrectly installing the parts. A surface membrane is (IMHO) the best way to approach a quality shower. This totally isolates the wet side from the dry side for the ENTIRE shower.
    Is the surface membrane something that is sort of painted on? Like a latex-like substance? The only thing I can really think to compare it to is the stuff I put on my barn roof that was white and thick and I used a mop to spread it. It was to prevent leaks.

I'm wondering what recommendations are in the southern US where it is extremely humid. Does the moisture in the climate affect what moisture barriers are needed in bathrooms?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Personally, I stay away from liquid, paint or roll on membranes. Now, if I did this on a regular basis, that may be a different story. I think it is hard for the DIY'er to get the proper thickness without getting pinholes or thin areas; excessive thickness can be an issue, too. What I'm talking about is something like Kerdi http://www.schluter.com/5288.aspx this goes on more like wallpaper than paint (it is a sheet membrane). Noble, and others may similar things. To me, this is more reliable. FWIW, Schluter gives a 10-year warranty if you use their stuff and install it properly.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suceress View Post
    ....I'm wondering what recommendations are in the southern US where it is extremely humid. ....
    I think you will be hard pressed to find a more accepted shower waterproofing process in Southern California than Hot Mop. California is a big state and thousands of Hot Mop showers get built every month. You can improve on this installation with the use of a sheet membrane (like Kerdi or NobleSeal TS) over the mortar walls typically installed after the hot mop crew do there thing. In this improved installation the Kerdi would for example be installed over the walls and ceiling areas getting tiled and not the shower floor and curb.

I just spoke with a women from Newport Beach who has a steam shower being built. She insisted on a three day flood test and got it preformed. Passed with flying colours and next her shower floor and mud walls get installed. After this step she plans to use Kerdi DS or NobleSeal TS. She is building a steam shower and has had found it hard to find any installer willing to improve on the Status Quo.

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    I think you will be hard pressed to find a more accepted shower waterproofing process in Southern California than Hot Mop. California is a big state and thousands of Hot Mop showers get built every month. You can improve on this installation with the use of a sheet membrane (like Kerdi or NobleSeal TS) over the mortar walls typically installed after the hot mop crew do there thing. In this improved installation the Kerdi would for example be installed over the walls and ceiling areas getting tiled and not the shower floor and curb.

I just spoke with a women from Newport Beach who has a steam shower being built. She insisted on a three day flood test and got it preformed. Passed with flying colours and next her shower floor and mud walls get installed. After this step she plans to use Kerdi DS or NobleSeal TS. She is building a steam shower and has had found it hard to find any installer willing to improve on the Status Quo.

JW
    Thanks, Jorhnfrwhipple. I wonder what the codes in Louisiana are and what the procedures are. I know for a fact that hotmopping was not used in any of my bathrooms. Can Kerdi be installed under linoleum and put down on top of a wooden subfloor? Or does it require more insulation than that?