Septic tank pumping

Users who are viewing this thread

dianasjb

Reaction score
I moved into my husband's home 3 years ago and he has never had the septic tank pumped. I owned a home previously and had to have the tanked pumped yearly because it was only a 500 gallon tank and there were 5 people living in the home. I know they have to be pumped at least sometimes. I asked him when the last time it was pumped and he said never. He's lived in the house with 5 people since 1982-I have no idea how big the tank is. Isn't this a clue that something is wrong with the system, like it's possible routed somewhere else?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the leachfield and tank are properly sized and properly operating, technically the tank should never have to be pumped. In real life though... things happen. since you have just moved in, it would probably be a good idea to have it pumped and looked at if for no other reason than piece of mind. I have not had my tank pumped since it was installed 15 years ago. The leachfield is the key though.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
If it ain't broke then don't fix it. If the time comes when it needs to be pumped you will find out. Why waste money on an un needed expense?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
They should be pumped every 3-5 years depending on usage. If you wait until it needs to be pumped then the damage is already done as by this time solids have made their way to the absorption area (leach field). Once the tank is 1/3 solids it needs to be pumped. This $175-$275 expense is well worth it.

My ex mother in law never pumped hers in 20 years then simply blocked up and had to be replaced. The neighbor who had a home built the same time always pumped theirs every few years and it is still working. Mother in law is now out $15,000 for a new sand mound and tank and pump tank.

Too bad she did not pump it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks