How to insert a tee?

Users who are viewing this thread

chadg

Reaction score
I'm looking to move my laundry room myself to the second floor of my house. I'm pretty comfortable running all the pipes and vents except for one aspect.

I was planning on cutting into my 3" PVC main horizontal running main pipe that runs the length of my house.

The problem I see is if I cut the pipe so the tee fits in properly, I don' see how I can get both ends of the tee on the pipe? If the tee is say 6" long, then I would cut out about a 4" space in the pipe so there is overlap to glue. I'm assuming the pipe would be quite ridged so I would put one end on then if I can't move the other end of the 3" pipe how do I get it into the tee fitting?

Thanks for any help you can offer this wanna be plumber!

SLB

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, just another DIY'er, but I recently had this same problem. The way that I made the connection was to use a no-hub coupler (a rubber sleeve with stainless steel band and hose clamps attached).

proflex.jpg

I cut out a section of the drain pipe and replaced it with a combination wye and a piece of pipe that left about 1/4" gap between the pipe ends. Before installing, I slipped a no-hub coupler completely over one pipe end. I then installed the fitting with the tail piece (short section of pipe) attached, and then slid the coupler into postion and secured it over the two pipe ends.

FYI, code does not allow the use of a tee for a waste line, you need to use a wye or combination wye and 1/8 bend.

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

chadg

Reaction score
I have seen these types of connectors before. I thought they were only used on a cast iron pipe? I guess it would work if I don't get any other answers.

What is a wye? Is that a special type of tee that only allows one way flow?
(Told you I was new at this!)
abs_wye.gif

SLB

Reaction score
Fernco makes some for connecting plastic to plastic, and pretty much all other combinations.

Unlike a tee, a wye directs flow. A combination wye and 1/8 bend functions as a tee but directs the flow.

-Steve

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
fernco fittings

the fernco fittings is the easiest and best way to do this ...

though I dont really cae for the ones with the metal bands.

the plain rubber ones with the simple clamps on it seem to

slide back and forth better on the pipe

you can cut the pipe side the fernco rubber fitting all the way on it

then just build your plumbing back up with pvc.

wether you use a tee or wye is up to you,
depending onthe room available

have fun

chadg

Reaction score
Great, thanks for all the info! I was actually planning on a wye, I guess I was just calling it the wrong name. :)

I'll post some picutres when it is done.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

The rubber Ferncos with the hose clamps are not permitted inside the building, either above the floor or underground, by most codes. They do not prevent lateral movement unless they are braced externally, which is what the metal band does. To install the banded ones, you do not slide it back onto the pipe. You slide the band onto the pipe, put the rubber part on the pipe, then "roll" the part for the fitting back onto itself. Then you slip the fitting, or fitting with pieces of pipe attached, into the gap and roll the rubber cuffs onto it. Then you slide the metal band into place and tighten it.
proflex.jpg

SLB

Reaction score
hj said:
To install the banded ones, you do not slide it back onto the pipe. You slide the band onto the pipe, put the rubber part on the pipe, then "roll" the part for the fitting back onto itself. Then you slip the fitting, or fitting with pieces of pipe attached, into the gap and roll the rubber cuffs onto it. Then you slide the metal band into place and tighten it.
proflex.jpg

You guys know all the tricks.;) It never occurred to me to roll the rubber part back onto itself. That sounds a lot easier than what I did. I slid the metal band onto the pipe and then stretched the rubber part to get the ridge in the center of the coupling over the pipe, and then had to work it until it was all the way onto one pipe end, and then had to work it back into position to join the two sections. This was before I found this forum. :eek:

-Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks