WH on apt. bldg upper floor

Users who are viewing this thread

philbob57

Reaction score
My city's code states: "A pan or receptor with a drain or a floor drain in an impervious floor shall be required for all water heaters, and clothes washing machines in multifamily and commercial occupancies."

I live on the 4th floor of an apt bldg. There's no floor drain in my apt. I just installed a WH in a closet in a bedroom. I had it placed in a drip pan which doesn't drain anywhere. The plumber suggested not using the pan. There's a great h/w store near me; the staff is very knowledgeable and very helpful - they looked at me as if I was crazy when I asked how to comply with the code.

I understand the dangers. There's a similar WH right above mine w/no drain and no drip pan, and i understand the danger of that.

But has anyone on this forum complied with a code like this? How did you do it? Among other things, what did you use to elevate the WH, which certainly seems necessary in my apartment?

Thanks in advance.

PB

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

You elevate the heater with bricks or concrete blocks, but unless there is a way to extend a drain to the exterior of the building there is no way to drain the water from the pan safely. But it will help give an indication of leakage if the drain opening is in a visible location.

philbob57

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

Let me rephrase my question -

Has anyone on this forum installed a WH on an upper floor of an apartment building (not a detached or semi-detached house) in a way that meets the requirement?

If so, what did you do to comply?

Thanks.

PB

philbob57

Reaction score
Thanks very much.

A sensor that shuts off the water if a leak is detected sounds like the best approach.

PB

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater placement ! ! !

another choice is a www.wagsvalve.com . If you have a leak with this type, you must replace the valve, so no testing...
Yes but that only works if you have a gas fired water heater ! !

You don't put a gas water heater in bedroom closet ! it's against gas code !

Therefore a electric water heater which a WAG'S will not work on

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Wags

The WAGS WILL turn off the water to an electric heater which will stop the flood. If the heater is drained of water by the leak, which is not likely, and the elements turn on, they will almost immediately burn out, stopping any power flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks