toto aquia vs drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
what are the differences between the aquia and the drake? and then the eco-drake? If you had to choose-which one? Yikes! I'm confused!! We have finally almost completed a renovation of our master bathroom (18x18 travertine, riverrock shower floor,etc..) and are picking toilets. My hubby asked me to research for him during deployment and I like the top flush look of the aquia, my hubby says the drake looks more "friendly".. The end desire is a toilet that works WELL and doesn't require the two to three flushes for nothing solid as do the other two toilets in the house.

help- please? one piece, two piece? I didn't even KNOW there WERE pieces!and then American Standard H2Option Siphonic?????

thank you

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Drake is a 2 piece 1.6gpf toilet with a great flush
Eco-Drake is a 2 piece 1.28 gpf toilet with a great flush

Aquia is a 2 piece 1.6gpf /0.9gpf dual flush toilet (some people complain about the water in the bowl being to small and it leading to marks). I have not found that having one installed in our mens bathroom for the past 5 years, but i've heard complaints (which i believe you would find in any Dual flush toilet).

1 piece and 2 piece is exactly as it sounds, the benefit of a 1piece is that you have a cleaner looking toilet and no gap between the bowl and tank, but you pay for it.

For what you need and no problems i would go with the Drake 1.6gpf.

Reaction score
toto aquia vs drake

thank you, Peanut, for your advice and for putting the info about each in one spot for review! I think that we will go with the Drake, even though I think that the Aquia has more style. Gotta take into account that, after months in theater, hubby should be able to have a toilet that feels friendly to him. He gives up too much for me to quibble about looks! maybe we will save a bit and get the Aquia for the powder room...more style in a less use intensive setting.. So- now will get one and await his availabilty to install.

One more question, if you don't mind: I've read that some Toto's require 6 bolts? to install- is this true of the Drake? Just want to have as much info as possible to supply for a smooth install.

thank you all so much for this forum! The information and friendly advice is much appreciated by those of us who are plumbing challenged!

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Not sure which toilet take 6 bolts.
The Drake has 2 bolts to mount to the floor and 2 bolts that connect the tank to the bowl.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Aquia does take a bit more time to install.
As a homeowner, you just slow down and enjoy the installation process.
As a plumber, we charge more on the labor end.

MY GF is with you though, she loves the Aquia I gave her.

So for looks, the Aquia
For ease of installation, the Drake

The Drake is a quick and easy install.

Reaction score
toto aquia vs drake

Thanks to both of you! Maybe the 6 bolt was for another brand? my head is 'clogged' with toilet info right now:) I think that the plan will be: Drake in the master bath and the spiffy Aquia in the downstairs powder room. And another Drake in the kids' bathroom, we need a work horse in there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Aquia uses a couple more bolts to hold the bowl to the floor. The two normal ones on the flange, and a couple more to hold the back down. The totos that use the unifit adapter have (I think) four bolts to hold one end down, the two at the flange to hold the front down, then there's two to hold the toilet to the adapter.

If the floor is tile, then it may call for a special drill bit to get through. A Drake just bolts to the standard toilet flange...no extra holes.

All two-piece toilets use some bolts (2 and occasionally 3) to hold the tank to the bowl.

Reaction score
aquia vs drake

Omgoodness-I thought i'd read about more bolts...thank you for the info, Jim.

We installed 18x18 travertine (floors and shower walls), so I'll have to ask most wonderful hubby about the drilling aspect. Funnily enough, he had just touched base and told me that he wanted me to pick whichever one I liked best :) and that he'd be fine with it. soo- having read more on the Aquia series (yes, Terry-this is probably a female thing! but form WITH function? who can argue?) was looking at the Aquia II. I'd read about the um, sound effects? with the original when urinating, on this forum, and thought that the II might resolve that issue. Our master bath is directly above the kitchen and the current sound effects are, at times, distracting. anyway- with the install info, the Drake might be best, afterall. Truthfully, I'm flip flopping because I don't know enough about installing these things to guage the amount of work/difficulty that DH would encounter with the Aquia vs Drake. I'll search and try to find pics of both sorts of installs. that will be the deciding factor because there is only a 50.00 difference between the models we are considering using. He doesn't need to battle a toilet install during dwell time just to satisfy my desire for a pretty potty!
s

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks