rope or no rope?

Users who are viewing this thread

eod4647

Reaction score
I've been reading different topics, and I've seen several comments that say not to use a "safety" rope/cable on a submersible pump. I'm just curious what the rational is for using one or not. I'm getting ready to pull a pump from about 30 feet. The downpipe has a crack or something. It has a rope on it, it's old, faded, etc. I figure on using the down pipe to pull it up, just curious about replacing the rope. Seems to make sense to me, but then again I've never been around wells before the last four years.

The pump being pulled has a PVC casing that is cracked at the top and otherwise open, used only for irrigation but when I build a new barn it will supply that. I plan to replace the pipe and wiring, fix the casing and add a well seal.

Thanks for the comments. I greatly appreciate the knowledge I've gained from this forum.

Chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rope

I cannot imagine why using a "rope" would be discouraged, as long as the rope, (I would prefer a cable), does not rot so that it is ineffective for removing the pump.

eod4647

Reaction score
Thanks. That makes sense. I figured it was something like that. Hopefully I'll have little or no problems with the pump this weekend. There is just enough rope left above ground to tie it off. I need to get this shallow well fixed before I tackle the main well. That way I can at least fill buckets of water so I can flush toilets! when I tackle the main well.

When i do tackle the main well it will get a pitless adaptor and eventually get an extended casing and the pit will be filled back in.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Using a rope as a safety line for the pump has never been a good idea.
As you can see with yours, it rots and falls apart, and it can cause more problems than it helps.

The use of a cable is a much better idea. If a safety line must be used, the use of stainless or galvanized cable would be a better way to go.

Travis

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks