pump motor overheating fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Randall59

Reaction score
I just installed an older Myers 'Ejecto' pump driven by a 1/2hp GE motor. When turned on while still cool it only runs for about 2 to 3 minutes before it gets very hot and the 'thermally protected' motor shuts off ( the pump pressure switch is still in the on position ). It stays off for about 5 minutes and then it automatically comes back on but as it is still quite warm, it only runs for 30 seconds or so before turning off again. I'm guessing that it has something to do with worn brushes in the motor or something similar. Can I fix this ?
Thanks.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
pump driven by a 1/2hp GE motor.
When turned on while still cool it only runs for about 2 to 3 minutes before it gets very hot and the 'thermally protected' motor shuts off ( the pump pressure switch is still in the on position ). It stays off for about 5 minutes and then it automatically comes back on but as it is still quite warm, it only runs for 30 seconds or so before turning off again. I'm guessing that it has something to do with worn brushes in the motor or something similar. Can I fix this ?
Thanks.
Motor needs to be water cooled[submersible]?
Shorted winding causing overheating?
Pump bearing worn and causing too much friction?

Check your voltage across and current through the motor. I don't see how motor brushes could cause this.

This link courtesy of another member
http://www.franklin-electric.com/business/WaterSystems/service/AIM/page-46.aspx

Last edited:

Randall59

Reaction score
Here is the pump and motor

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,289

Randall59

Reaction score
1/2 HP GE motor? I am guessing it is air cooled. Do you have it wired 115 volt and it is set up for 240V?

It came wired for regular electric plug-in, and is the same set-up as my last pump.
Also, are the motors interchangeable ? I have the old pump which is a Jaccuzzi with a 1/2hp Franklin Electric motor.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pull the end cap off the motor and check voltage setting. I still bet it is wired for 230 volt and you are plugging into 115 volt.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wiring

If it were a factory wired cord, then there would be little doubt that the motor was wired for 120 v. But that is a field cord installation so the actual wired should be verified. Bad bearings, rusted volute dragging on the impeller, or wrong voltage will all cause the problem.

Randall59

Reaction score
Pull the end cap off the motor and check votalge setting. I still bet it is wired for 230 volt and you are plugging into 115 volt.

BINGO!!!
There was a small 'pull out, turn, push in' hi and low power setting button. I set it to low power and it works perfect.
You guys are AWESOME!
Thanks much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I brought this thread back up because some people may not know that pumps can run on half voltage. I have had 240V well pumps that electricians wired up to 115V after I was gone, that ran for a year that way before I happened to find it on a service call. Some will actully pump pretty good pressure, and not trip the overload.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
had 240V well pumps that electricians wired up to 115V after I was gone, that ran for a year that way before I happened to find it on a service call.
Some will actully pump pretty good pressure, and not trip the overload.
115v should give a little more than 1/4th the power and 1/2 the current of 240v because the motor will try to draw more current to meet the demand. They should give about 1/4th the GPM or the pressure, assuming the efficiency is the same, which it almost certainly is not.

Do you think this low voltage shortened the life of the motor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks