No water running

Users who are viewing this thread

theClueless

Reaction score
I had recently purchased a property that the water had been turned off due to unpaid bill. After the bank paid the city and cleared the full payment certificate, I went to the city water department to have them turn the water back on, but they told me they never turned the water off, all I need to do is to hire a licensed plumber to turn the water on. The plumber turned on the buffalo box valve on the curb and the main water valve inside the house, there is still no water.
Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Or suggest what the problem might be? If I need to get the city to check the buffalo box valve, that is going to take weeks, and I don't want to pay premium to plumbers to check the pipes and valves if the problem is not the main water valve... Thanks in advance.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
No Water

The plumber turned on the buffalo box valve....I assume thats what in the N.E. is called a curb stop?, and turned the main water valve in the house, where is the meter located?, I think I'm missing some info.:confused:

theClueless

Reaction score
yes, the buffalo box is the curb box, and we have meterless account

the setup is like this: city pipe (sewer) - buffalo box (sidewalk) - main pipe (under front yard) - main valve (crawlspace) - house pipes

so somewhere from buffalo box to main valve is broken, I really hope the problem is not the main pipe (lead pipe, really old)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

The only way the lead pipe could be "broken" would be if a root encased the pipe and squeezed it shut, (I have only seen it happen a couple of times). Otherwise, if the Buffalo Box valve is open, (and hopefully he did not turn it 180 degrees which would have turned it off again), and your main valve is open, there is no reason you should not have water. The only other place the water could be shut off would be the corporation cock on the water main, and they would have had to dig a hole to turn that off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks