basic questions

Users who are viewing this thread

eod4647

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I just have a few questions, trying to clarify some things at my place. I posted awhile back about some well problems I was having, and I have those temporarily cured. I plan to pull the pump this weekend or next (we'll see) and replace the wiring. There were some bad spots in the cable that were just shorting out I guess. I fixed those but had some general questions.

On a control box for the submersible pumps, I have two. One well is 120v 1/2 HP and is in a 90 foot well that feeds the house. The other is a 230v 1/2 HP that is a well i use for irrigation, I think the pump is down about 25 - 30 feet. No pressure tank or anything, just turn it on and there you go. The question is, that well is actually fed by a 120v line, not 230v. Is that a bad thing? I loked at new controll boxes, and what is available locally is 230v, any others would be a special order.

That pump will probably get pulled as well as the down pipe has a split or hole in it. My daughter left it on after washing the car one day and I didn't notice it for a coule days.

Next question, on the well that feeds the house, there is a short section of 12/2 wire from the breaker panel to the pressure switch. From the pressure switch to the well is mostly 10/2 with a splice and about six feet of 12/2 to the control box. That splice was one of my problems... Should I go ahead and replace those sections of wire? I ask, because apart from the splice problems (wire nut came loose) it's probably been that way since the house was built. When I moved in, the wires were just twisted/taped and placed under a rock. Nothing against farmers, but this guy would do things as cheaply as possible.

I'm trying to resolve all the older issues and get things as reliable as possible. I figure I have two or three months to make sure my wells are reliable before I have to start worrying about winter here in ND. Thanks.

Chris

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
The question is, that well is actually fed by a 120v line, not 230v. Is that a bad thing? I loked at new controll boxes, and what is available locally is 230v, any others would be a special order.

Sorry, don't know on this one.

Next question, on the well that feeds the house, there is a short section of 12/2 wire from the breaker panel to the pressure switch. From the pressure switch to the well is mostly 10/2 with a splice and about six feet of 12/2 to the control box. That splice was one of my problems... Should I go ahead and replace those sections of wire?

Check your circuit breaker. If its 20A or less there is no reason to replace the 12/2. 10/2 is used on long 20A circuits for most of the run to prevent voltage drop over the long distance. A few feet of 12/2 isn't a problem. If you have a splice underground you should use a underground splice kit to make it water tight.

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks