rapid continous banging noise from pipes when one faucet opened

Users who are viewing this thread

chad919

Reaction score
I recently shut off my main water valve to do some bathroom plumbing and after i turned it back on I found that a very loud rapid continous banging rang through the system when i turned on a outside water faucet that is the first valve on the system after the pressure regulator. No other valve causes this when opened. Is my pressure regulator faulty fouled with debris? It is 30 years old. Adjusting the PRV seems to have no effect. The noise continues as long as the faucet is opened and is violent enough to rupture pipes I am sure! Any advice greatly appreciated. I

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It can be the regulator. It can also be a loose washer in the valve which is causing the problem. BOth need to be investigated

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks