Getting ripped off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Humor

Reaction score
Hello all!

So heres my story. I had the city come shut off my curb side valve. I did some plumbing work in the house and when the time came, I couldnt get the curside to turn back on... So this means getting some one in here to dig it up and replace. I called a local plumber to dig up, replace, and fill back in. $1300 dollors later I have water!

Guess my question is, does anyone think this price is quite out of line? Where can a guy find pricing on this type of work? Should I call around and find out what other people charge.....Maybe I should of done this in the beginning!! Nut I would like to know...to atleast give this guy a piece of my mind!!

By the way..this work was done in IOWA. Really Im just venting!! Would like to hear your opinions! Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If you had the city turn it off, why didn't you have them turn it back on. If you had none of this would have happened. Call the city and see if the valve is their responsibility. If it is, they may charge you for repairing it, because you broke it. (Around here there could also be a $10,000.00 fine for working on the utilities part of the supply system if you have your own plumber fix it.) Your real problem is that the valve may not be repairable without turning off the city's water main system in your area.

Last edited:

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
Around here

I know in this area the curb stop is where the water company's responsibility ends, but the valve is included in their responsibility. Most water companies here will turn the water off and back on for free, but they are clear to tell you if you or your plumber turn it back on and something goes wrong-like your example-the repair or replacement will be your responsibilty.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the Seattle area, we have meters with their own shutoff.
That belongs to the city.

As plumbers, we only worry about the side coming from the setter on the homeowner side.

Here, they city would have fixed it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
As Terry, Garydaplummer, and HJ said each city take responsibility for different parts of the water service. Around here they take responsibility right up to the curb stop. They do allow plumbers to key them, but if something is wrong and I was the last one to stick my key in, they will hold me responsible for the repair. So I always call the city to make sure the B-box is keyable and have them turn the water off and on for me.

AS for how much you where charged. Every shop has a different price they charge. When I get someone complaining about my rates compared to Joe the Plumbers Rates, I explain them my prices are based on "MY" cost to do business, not based on what my competitors charge. In all reality you should of gotten three estimates for the job then choose the one you are most comfortable with.

Many times I have put in bids on larger jobs, and the home owner will call me and explain to me I was the highest bidder and if I could come down some. After I explain to them I gave them the best price I can give, 9 times out of 10 I get the job due to them liking my personalty and how well I explained the job to them.

So in other words you can not be upset with the gentleman you hired to make the repair. He gave you a price, you hired him, and now you are having buyers remorse.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am surprised you found a plumber who would replace a valve owned by the city...

TedL

Reaction score
I called a local plumber to dig up, replace, and fill back in. $1300 dollors later I have water!

Guess my question is, does anyone think this price is quite out of line?

What price were you quoted, for what work?
Was the work done as promised, in a professional manner?
Was the charge in line with the estimate?

If the answer to the last two is "Yes", you were not ripped off.

You may have agreed to pay a pricey plumber his fee, but if he delivered as promised, you were not ripped off. You may have been too lazy to call more than one plumber for a quote. But you were not ripped off if what was promised was delivered for the agreed price.

You don't mention the time of day, day of the week, or time from call to completion of the work. Those could all be factors for which any plumber charges a higher rate.

But look around--you're surrounded by what I guess you would call "rip-offs". Bread costs twice as much at the c-store as at the supermarket. A beer at the bar costs what a six costs at the market. A bottle of wine is 4 times as much at the restaurant as the liquor store. The lawyer you hire to sue the supposed "rip off" may charge you $100 per hour---or $1000 per hour. Start doing your homework, and don't accuse people of being thieves if they do as agreed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks