Wiring baseboard heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

taiwantim

Reaction score
does anyone have, or can explain how to wire two separate rooms each with a heater and individual t-stat, both going back to the same double pole 20 amp breaker on the same line?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Assuminf that the heaters are 240 volt units, the basic idea is this: the 240 would go to a junction box somewhere, and from that box, two cables would run, one to each thermostat. The rooms would work independent of each other.

Are you sure that a 20 amp breaker will support 2 heaters? Each heater would need to be probably a max. 1500 watt unit. Ideally, you should not run two 2000 watt units off one breaker.

taiwantim

Reaction score
I know that here in this house, the electrician wired it so that one 12/2 wire was run back to the panel box. That 12/2 was for 2 heaters and 2 t-stats.
I know he didn't overload the circuit.

taiwantim

Reaction score
So, how do I tire the wires together? Panel box to one- 12/2 wire.. and then? How do I connect the T-stats to this?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Baseboard Heaters

For the record I'm not a ticketed electrician but we have done this many times.

Your electrician most likely measured the room size for each room being heated and calculated what the right wattage output for each heater should be. Assuming his math was right he then calculated that a 12/2 wire was OK.

This doesn't seem wrong as many jobs we have done we have had multiple baseboard heaters running of one 12/2 wire.

You have two thermostat locations. The wire from the panel will run to one of them. There should be in one thermostat location 3 12/2 wires in the other 2.

The one with 3 12/2 wires need to be sorted out if they are not all ready labeled. you need to be able to check for continuity of the 12/2 lines. With the power off of this circuit twist the 12/2 wire coming out of the wall for the baseboard heater toghter and go back to the thermostat location and find which one of the 3 12/2 wires tones or beeps. This is your 12/2 feed leg to the heater. The remaining 2 are a jumper to the next thermostat and the feed from the main panel. Leave the wire that powers the baseboard heater untouched and twist toghter the remain two wires with an extra pig tails for the thermostat. Cap these 2 pig tails with merrits and go to the next thermostat location.

There should only be 2 wires here. separate the two and put the breaker back on to see which wire is hot. Label and switch the power back off.

You now have 2 pigtails capped at one location and the second location labeled. These 2 sets of 12/2 wire represent the power from your panel (your line voltage 220). Your thermostats will be labeled with instructions on how to hook them up. Which wire goes to line which wire goes to load etc.

Make sure you have your tester and make sure you where your safety shoes or boots. Have the city inspector come by and check the final job for peace of mind and remember that only a liscenced electrician can work on heating needs for a rental unit or basement suite...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

You are not going to like this reply, but if you do not know how to make these connections, since they are the most elementary, and intuitive, ones in the business, maybe you should not be doing this project.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
20A dbl pole breaker connected to 12/2 which goes to a junction box. Junction box then feeds a 12/2 to each T stat. Therefore the J box will have 3 12/2 wires connected to it and each other. Each T stat now connects the load side to the heater with 12/2.

Take out a permit and get the job inspected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks