Uponor admits its PEX fittings are defective

Users who are viewing this thread

Minneme

Reaction score
Another PEX lawsuit . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Minneme

Reaction score
Yes they are. They were sold by Uponor's wholly owned subsidiary, RTI, under the Plumb-Pex ("P-Pex") trade name.

Click on the documents on that site for more info.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
OK but you are preaching to the chorus. Nobody cares. I know we all went through this plastic crap with polybutylene. No one cares. It makes no damn difference. PEX is cheap, PEX is fast, everyone loves PEX. We are a cheap, fast generation. Quality is in the eye of the installer now. PEX, AAV's, sharkbites, flexi-supplies, flexi tailstocks, mighty putty and duct tape the whole damn thing together, just make sure you do it fast and cheap. That's what everyone is looking for Fast and Cheap.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Still not the tubing or fittings that pretty much every plumber here recommends so I don't know how much they can beckpeddle.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Maybe the foundry that made these also made the Zurn fittings. The root cause of failure was a high zinc content with agressive water. The driver was trying to save money. Viega Pureflow fittings are bronze with less than 1% zinc ... I still install this product (as I will today).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been using the expansion Uponor and fittings.
Those fittings have been good for 35 and counting years.

They are nothing like those on the suit.
I've never used the fittings like those on the lawsuit pictures.

I've been using the plastic fittings

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They don't look like any uponor stuff i've ever used either but Uponor does or did make pipe and fittings under different names and for different distributors. One of the pictures looks a lot like Watts pex. The link refers to Zurn lawsuit also, which everyone is pretty aware of now. About a year or so back my Uponor rep told me to use the plastic fittings whenever possible. He did not elaborate but I'll bet it was because they were forseeing problems with the brass.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Try to Look on the bright side

:D :D

I got a home in which we installed a water conditioner about 3 years ago.. in which has this stuff in it going everywhere..

and it is a beautiful home...probably worth about 400k....

I looked at those crimp fittings and I looked at the brass ...

since that time, I think about 2 years ago, they pulled all those brass fittings and crimp rings off the market...

actually also in the pic, the black plastic fittings with those
expansion rings are stilll the best way to go....
I use them all the time...god help us all if they start to crack and break

I wonder if their is going to be some insurance
work to be done changeing out these half assed systems someday???

With things as slow as they presently are, I would like to be part of that clean up.

please evil overlord .. nothing was siad here to offend any gender or race

do not delete this post... show some humanity

turkeyvulture

Reaction score
Use Sharkbites

Would all this trouble with thin wall brass fittings be a good reason to use sharkbites instead? They are pretty thick and massive. I've never heard of a problem with them. I haven't used them but plan to with my rather small (2-bath) system. Plus you don't need a special tool and you can take them apart. The disadvantage would be the price I guess.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Sharkbite has only been out for a little while.
I don't know any plumbers that would consider them for a complete plumbing job.

Only more time will tell how permanent those are.

Soldered joints are still considered one of the best ways.
And the Uponor expansion PEX has been very good.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a Slum / Landlord acquaintance that will higher guys to run PEX from Low*s and do all the connections with Sharkbites...he saves his $$$ on the labor but the future will be the test...

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the PEX from bLow*s wasn't good. Maybe the fittings will survive, but the pipe won't!

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lowes and Home Depot sells Zurn PEX and fittings. I cringe every time I see the fittings there but as far as I've seen, there are no problems with the PEX itself. ******* carries Nibco Dura-pex which there have been problems with. I'm replacing all of that that I put in every chance I get.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks