How can I tell if my wires are live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
I took down a fixture to replace with a ceiling can light. My box is labled very well so I am not sure what circuit it is. I don't want to buy a "not sure what they are called...tester", is there some other way to test those two wires without getting zapped?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Turn off ALL the power Einstein.:rolleyes:

Maybe it would have neem a good idea to find the circuit when the fixture was still installed??:rolleyes:

If there are only two wires in the light j box (one black, one white) turning off the switch will turn off the power.

If there are more than two wires up there, turn off the circuit somehow.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A simple tester is dirty cheap. All they are is a glow light with 2 leads that you touch to the wires or push into a socket. If the light glows, the wires are hot. These are not high class meters or voltage readers, just is there power or not.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If there are only two wires in the light j box (one black, one white) turning off the switch will turn off the power.

Maybe and maybe not...if the neutral was switched by a DIYr instead of the hot it will still be live...always use a meter / tester to test a curcuit, test it on a known live circuit first...ask me how I know...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Testers/voltmeters (except Wiggys) indicate phantom voltages so instead use an incand. lamp in a socket with pigtail leads.

Cookie

Reaction score
My dad and I used to take our fingers wet them, and briefly touch a hot wire. I wouldn't recommend this. :D

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Testers/voltmeters (except Wiggys) indicate phantom voltages so instead use an incand. lamp in a socket with pigtail leads.

Not better multimeters. But still a simple tester here will do the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks