pump size

Users who are viewing this thread

mak123

Reaction score
what kind of pump do I need to install?
In order to provide 100GPM of water from storage tank through 2" copper pipe, what HP pump needed?, with 50PSI....
Thanks,

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
In order to provide 100GPM of water from storage tank through 2" copper pipe, what HP pump needed?, with 50PSI....
Thanks,
What length of pipe?
What height, from pump to outlet?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

Take the length and using a flow chart for the type of pipe you have plus the 10' head pressure and figure out the head pressure you need. Then start checking pump flow charts to find one that provides 100 gpm at that head. The efficiency of the pump will determine the HP needed. MOPAR is the Chrysler-Fiat parts division and HEMI is the C/F "super motor".

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Thanks,
I'm not sure you are going to get 100 gpm through a 2" pipe but, do you want a submersible, jet or centrifugal pump? Submersible is the best choice but it depends on what you are using the water for. And then, do you want constant pressure or not? What is the elevation difference from the pump location to the highest point (in feet) the water is going to be used at?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I forgot about the 50 PSI spec. . .:eek:

Here's a similar problem:

"I have a 1 1/2 inch pipe making 7.6 gpm, Im trying to figure out what the PSI is to see how much volume I will loose if I increase pressure with say a 3/4 line
2 years ago
Additional Details
the length is 200 ft + or - with an increase of 70 feet from bottom to top.

"The head loss due to elevation is what you will also have to cover. (1) psi is equal to 2.307 feet in elevation, so 70 feet equals 29.5 psi.
Note, if you have a flow element for control in the line, that could add 3 to 5 psi to the overall head loss. Also, globe valves have a high pressue drop also.
Then when you add all the loses up (29.5 psi for elevation + pipe losses + valves looses), add an additinal 10 to 15% for a safety factor and you got it.
Edit:
Assuming water at 55 Deg F, Schedule 40 Carbon Steel Pipe, straight run of pipe with no control valve, the total head loss is 71 feet, (30 psi)
Same assumptions, going to a 3/4" pipe, the head loss goes up to 101 feet, (43.8 psi)"

so according to this, your pump needs to deliver >100 GPM at an apparent head of (>50psi/14.7psi)x32' + 27' = >136'.
Might take 10 hp, 10 to 15 kw., 40 to 60A at 240v.
How far you have to ship these kilowatts? 80'?

As pipe size goes ∧ pipe co$t goes ∧ but pump size goes ∨ and wire cost goes ∨
for the same GPM and PSI for your configuration.

Using graphs, find the minimum cost
pipe size/pump size/wire size solution.

Last edited:

mak123

Reaction score
I'm not sure you are going to get 100 gpm through a 2" pipe but, do you want a submersible, jet or centrifugal pump? Submersible is the best choice but it depends on what you are using the water for. And then, do you want constant pressure or not? What is the elevation difference from the pump location to the highest point (in feet) the water is going to be used at?
Gary,

If I use 3" or 4" pipe, then it's OK?
I don't want to use submersible, I want to use jet or centrifugal, but which is good?
what HP pump do I need to generate 100GPM through 3"(or 4") pipe with 50~60PSI?
and what bland pump is calm? thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

When the pipe size gets large enough so friction loss is not a consideration, then you need a pump which will deliver your gpm at the pressure you desire. For that you need the pump flow curves.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
80' long
10' high
100 gpm
50 psi

Head loss is 0.5' with 4" ID copper pipe
so apparent head is now (>50/14.7) x 34' + 10.5' = >120'

BHP = flow x head / (3960 x efficiency)
= 100x120/[3960x0.5] = 6.1 hp, depending on the efficiency of the pump you select.
"A survey of popular pump brands demonstrates that pump efficiencies range from 15% to over 90%"

With the skinny pipe it's 6.9 hp.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Gary,

If I use 3" or 4" pipe, then it's OK?
I don't want to use submersible, I want to use jet or centrifugal, but which is good?
what HP pump do I need to generate 100GPM through 3"(or 4") pipe with 50~60PSI?
and what bland pump is calm? thanks
I don't know what size pipe but 4" should be fine as long as you keep the velocity down to about 6'/second (I'd use PVC). Like HJ says, once you find the ID you want or have to use, then you find the total dynamic head (TDH) and you know you need 100 gpm so you then you use a pump flow chart (curve chart) to find how many hp is required to do the job. My guess is like 6-7 hp but it depends on what type of pump.

What is this water going to be used for?

And why 100 gpm out of a storage tank?

What is "calm"?

Do you have 3 phase power available?

mak123

Reaction score
I don't know what size pipe but 4" should be fine as long as you keep the velocity down to about 6'/second (I'd use PVC). Like HJ says, once you find the ID you want or have to use, then you find the total dynamic head (TDH) and you know you need 100 gpm so you then you use a pump flow chart (curve chart) to find how many hp is required to do the job. My guess is like 6-7 hp but it depends on what type of pump.

What is this water going to be used for?

And why 100 gpm out of a storage tank?

What is "calm"?

Do you have 3 phase power available?

calm mean I don't want noisy, I need smooth and not making too much sound...

yes, 2 phase, 230V

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here is a pump station already set up. The Cycle Stop Valve control means this system can vary the flow from 5 to 100 GPM. Without the CSV you would need at least 4 of the largest pressure tanks you can find. With the CSV, the 60 gallon tank is more than adequate. This pump system will only supply 40 PSI at 100 GPM, but will supply 50 PSI at less than 80 GPM flow.

Attachments

• 5HP booster station.JPG
    5HP booster station.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 5 HP curve.JPG
    5 HP curve.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 197

loafer

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
I recently setup a system that sounds similar.

I have 600 a gal tank with bottom outlet that feeds a 5hp 1ph centrifugal pump with a 2” PVC inlet. Inlet is flooded, so my net positive suction head (NPSH) is positive. My outlet is 1.5” iron pipe that transitions to 1.5” wash down hose. At 85’ of head this setup produces 110GPM. If I dead-head the pump my max pressure is around 60psi. The pump is frequently dead headed, so I have a small by-pass back to the tank to prevent overheating.

After use, I return the water back to the tank with a 0.75HP sump pump through 1.5” PVC which nets me about 100GPM. In practice, I do not need the full 110GPM, which is why I can get away with a return pump & plumbing that nets only 100GPM.

All system designs are unique, but 3” PVC for the outlet sounds a little overkill for what you are trying to do.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks