Problem with PL Premium not sticking

Users who are viewing this thread

nuggets_092

Reaction score
Hello all my first post here. Im remodeling my bathroom from the studs out, everything new, im on the finishing steps but im having a problem with hanging a few peices of Tile board using PL Premium construction adhesive, now im no contractor but it seems pretty easy to squeeze some crud out of a tube then stick it like the instructions say, problem is i do all that, put it on the wall hold it up for like 20 minutes then as soon as i let go it starts falling off the wall, im wondering if maybe the super high humidity we've had recently is what is doing it, but any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What do you mean by tile board? If you are talking about cbu (cement board), then use either galvanized roofing nails or the special screws (better on a wall).

nuggets_092

Reaction score
Tileboard is what it is called around here sorry, i dont mean cement board, i mean the big 4x8 or 5 x5 sheets that have a tile look to them they are commonly used in showers or for a wainscotting effect in bathrooms as a cheap alternative to tile in this area

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you use an adhesive like Liquid Nails Tub surround or panel adhesive, they suggest putting the board in place, then pulling the joint apart and allowing 30 seconds to a minute. This gives the adhesive some tack so it will hold firm.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
It may have been doing you a favor by refusing to stick. Did you read this related thread? https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910 When they first started selling that junk, 25+ years ago, I was assured it could be used in a shower. It could, but only for a few years. After that it developed bubbles and peeling, even in areas that were only damp. If you persist in putting it up, I believe I spread adhesive made specifically for tile-board with a notched trowel. It still pulled away from a wavy area in the wall. I have used tile board since, but I screwed it to the wall then laminated a sheet of Formica on top using contact cement. Contact cement has great adhesion, but cannot be re-positioned. You coat both surfaces, let dry then press in place.

nuggets_092

Reaction score
no i hadnt seen that article bob thanks for pointing it out, but this kind of leaves me in a pickle to speak, the house is an older house with the slanted ceiling along the roof line so a standard plastic or fiberglass tub surround doesnt fit, thus the reason for using the tileboard to begin with, anybody out there offer any advise on somthing else i could use? and no tilie isnt an option unfortunatly

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Another alternative to tile may be Swanstone panels. Click on "search forum" at the top of this page and also in the Shower and Bathtub forum.

nuggets_092

Reaction score
Jimbo what do you mean by FRP panels? and bob i checked out the Swanstone thing and they appear to be a US based company, probably why i have never seen them before, I am from canada, ontario to be exact and i called around nobody seems to carry Swanstone products

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks