need help with proper AC size

Users who are viewing this thread

expert87

Reaction score
Hi;
I need help choosing the correct AC size for my room
the room is about 320 squared feet "32 meter squared"....It is connected directly to my kitchen "small one...about 190squared feet"...the kitchen has no cooling unit, ventilation fan is on when cooking only and air flow is at minimum so pretty much the hot air sometimes is trapped inside..
The room I want to cool is also connected to a hallway "very small" that leads to the bathroom and the other room"bathroom no ventillation fan due to insects attacks!...just using the windows as a ventilator...so it is very humid around there.

I have bought 2 windowed ACs for the 320 feet squared room in less than 6 years.
at first the AC works great...after sometime freon runs out....refill....then after sometime just a sudden compressor failure....the ACs I used where 2.5tons "we use metric systems here"and they all failed to cool the room perfectly....just at night when everyone is asleep I get up and increase the temperature.

so what kind of AC and what power is porper for this room??....the room is not insulated "I mean heat insulation"...and I don't plan to change the status of the other rooms connected to it cause no space for cooling utilities.
One extra thing....the climate where I live is very humid usually....temp at these days goes up to 122F-130F
Sorry for the lengthy question....had to make every thing clear.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
temp at these days goes up to 122F-130F

In a normal climate, about 8000 BTU would cool 350 or so sqft. But you have to compensate for the climate. A window A/C will never adequately cool anything but the small room it is in, beause the air cannot circulate. 2½ tons seems way overkill;

Holy Chihuahua....130º...you need one of these.....to get the hell out of Dodge!!!>>
Corvette.jpg

Last edited:

expert87

Reaction score
2½ tons seems way overkill
I used to believe that is true but as it seems it is not true at all....
here is a small graph that might help:: X represents the AC
BC = Book Cabinet "about 2 meters high....doesn't touch the ceiling
Hw = Hall way
had to add zzzz to represent vacant...the forum doesn't like using space to seperate those
=====
||zzz||
==X=============== Hw= ==||
||zzzzzzzzzzzzzBCzzzzzzzzzzzzzz||
||zzzzzzzzzzzzzBCzzzzzzzzzzzzzz||
||zzzzzzzzzzzzzBCzzzzzzzzzzzzzzKitchen
||zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz||
========================||

So this is how the room looks like
The AC's back is in a wet semi closed area which explains fast radiator corrosion
now the questions are.....If I bought another 2½ tons....
1)would the room be too much for it?
2)would the compressor just stops working like the ones before it?
3)I would like an explanation why my AC died so soon? (Can it kill the AC if the room is too big for it?)
4)Should I consider other types of ACs?

A 3kw cooktop unit puts out 10,000 BTU/hr.
Can you change that into tons please? we don't use BTU's here:(

Holy Chihuahua....130º...you need one of these.....to get the hell out of Dodge!!!
It is hot as hell here and very very humid...the mankind killing combination :D

Last edited:

expert87

Reaction score
Thanks
I went and bought another 2 tons AC
It is one of those with giant compressors-thats what is written in the manual and on the AC unit-.
I found in the manual that max BTU is about 24,000 would that be good?
Or shall I return it?

expert87

Reaction score
Here is the axact info written on the unit:
Cooling Capacity
24000BTU/HR
Cooling Capacity (SASO)
5420 Watt
--------------
Elictrical
220 V / 1ph / 60 HZ
Pwer Cool
2880 W - 13.5A
Pwer (SASO)
3250W-15A
Power heat
-----
--------------------
Refregerant
R22-910g

Note: the AC has no heat generating features.
Note: SASO -I think- is the Saudi Standards,Metrology and Quality Orginization (yes,the unit was made in Saudi Arabia except for the compressor which was imported.
This is no less than the one before it which lasted only 5 or 6 years....the compressor is dead.
The old one was 2.5 tons this one is 2 tons only
Any explenation? and is this unit good?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks