(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Takagi JR error code 12

Hybrid View

Default Takagi JR error code 12

All of the sudden, there is no hot water coming into the bathtub. The error code flashing is 12. I believe that is for a fuel sensor? Is that something common to go bad? Expensive? We can't find a dealer near that does repairs, so it is something we can order and install DIY? While researching this topic, I read that hard water isn't good for our tankless. Our softner quit about a year ago and we didn't replace it. Could that have anything to do with the error? (we have a sand-point shallow well)
    The kitchen sink water did get fairly warm today. It has always had low water pressure compared to the bathtub. The heater didn't "blink" error code with that, but does when we run the tub. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Error code 12 is a flame sensor error. Buffing it clean with a fiber-tex or similar (soft-pot-scrubbers, not steel wool, not sandpaper) usually does the trick. It's an annual maintenance thing for some installations, goes for years in others. Some modulating-condensing boiler flame sensors have similar issues.

If you don't already have it, download the manual:

http://www.takagi.com/download/produ...uals/T-KJr.pdf

You can figure out how to find the flame sensor from the exploded diagram on P.24. (Be sure to turn off the power and the gas before opening the sucker up, eh? ) While you have shut down and open, clean the filter too (an annual maintenance thing in most installations.) Walk yourself through as much of the maintenance protocol on p.16 as you're competent to do before buttoning it all back up.

thank you so much!! Sounds way cheaper! LOL

still no hot water after we cleaned out the filter. I couldn't find the location of the flame sensor. The flame sensor wires we found, but not the sensor. Any clues? It's not listed on our manual.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aksmieja View Post
    still no hot water after we cleaned out the filter. I couldn't find the location of the flame sensor. The flame sensor wires we found, but not the sensor. Any clues? It's not listed on our manual.
    Its held onto the front of the burn chamber by a couple of screws. I see if I can find a diagram fro you.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

This is why I always try to install two tankless units. If one fails you will still be getting hot water from the second unit.

Here is the diagrahm. The part in the red circle.
    Attached Images Attached Images