Any experience with Dual Flush Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

bigheadr

Reaction score
I am considering to a new 1.6/1.1 gpf dual flush Gerber Ultra Flush. Has anyone know how good this toilet is? How do you get the two different flushes? How does it take to get one?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any plumber should be able to get the new dual flush Gerber with WDI Technology EcoFlush.

I no longer sell the Gerber Dual Flush with EcoFlush. Too many bad units.

wdi_ecoflush_1.jpg

WDI Technology EcoFlush

Last edited:

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
Flushmate doesn't currently manufacture a dual-flush system. The dual-flush system Gerber is offering is manufactured by a Chinese company with no prior experience in pressure-assist technology. It may very well be a quality product, but since it's relatively new to the market, its reliability and lifespan have yet to be proven.

This particular model provides different flush-volumes depending upon whether you push down or lift up on the handle. Other models such as those made by Caroma have two (2) buttons, to accomplish the desired results. Both methods of actuation require the user to consciously choose what flush-vloume they want so unless you re-train yourself and (everyone that uses your toilet), actual water-savings may be slim to none.

Good luck.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Dual flush toilets do save water.

It's not hard to figure out which button to press, and most people are intrigued by it.
The smaller side of the button for the small flush and the bigger button for the big flush.

Seattle studies show good savings by switching to dual flush.
I sell quite a few the Caroma dual flush in the Seattle area.

Last edited:

LR

Reaction score
Caromas- great flush

Hi,

We have several Caroma dual-flush toilets and love them.
It's hard to consider any 1.6 toilets, when Caroma offers the .8 /1.6 flush.

The least expensive is the Tasman, it has a non-vitreous tank- hard plastic- but doesn't detract from the look and has held up fine with no issues in the past year.

The fanciest is the Caravelle one-piece, very pricy and I haven't tried it but just ordered one for the most visible bathroom because it looks sleek and easy to clean.

The midrange is the Caravelle (270 or 305), with a china tank. It's nice looking and sturdy.

Both the models we have have a fast, quiet flush, and have never clogged, due to the huge trap size. I read some forum that mentioned "bowl streaking" as a possible issue, but have never noticed this on any of ours.
And although there's a full-flush 1.6 option, it's almost never necessary, the half flush works fine for most uses.

Guests are pleasantly surprised by the quick flush cycle, and everyone figures out the buttons quickly- I put a Post-it up on the first one to explain the half flush and full flush.

The "270" and "305" difference is 270 has an adjustable 10-12 setin, the 305 is 12".

I don't work for Caroma (although sales at the plumbing supply say I should). So check their website in case I've misspoken any details. I got the dual-flushes originally to reduce the burden on our well and septic field in Maine, but ended up putting them in the city place, too.

I haven't used any other dual flushes. Couple years ago when I was looking into them, there weren't any other reliable ones I could find. Haven't heard of any other brands from our plumbing folks.

Best
LR

Caroma toilets in the Seattle area

sydney_on_tile.jpg

The Caroma Sydney comfort height round 270 bowl

Last edited by a moderator:

LR

Reaction score
Caroma install note

Thought of this after posting the Caroma note-and I don't know what you call the bits, not a plumber, sorry.

The last one that was installed, the plumber said there wasn't a piece included to screw it down with, he called and they said to just use whatever he had that would fit. He put in a screw but it didn't have a covered head, just a plain end. Seemed odd, but I haven't noticed it since, and I don't recall it being an issue with the other 4.
This is the long screw that goes down through the base at an angle near the back, into the floor.

The only other install thing was, they recommend to caulk under it when installing.

Doesn't detract from their great functioning.

Best
LR

HP

Reaction score
TOTO now makes a dual-flush

TOTO has released its first dual-flush in the states named the AQUIA. It doesn't appear to be overly priced for a TOTO and looks a bit like th NEXUS model. Take a look and see what you think.

HH

MaP rating of 800 grams

JCturboT

Reaction score
Scott said:
Flushmate doesn't currently manufacture a dual-flush system. The dual-flush system Gerber is offering is manufactured by a Chinese company with no prior experience in pressure-assist technology. It may very well be a quality product, but since it's relatively new to the market, its reliability and lifespan have yet to be proven.

This particular model provides different flush-volumes depending upon whether you push down or lift up on the handle. Other models such as those made by Caroma have two (2) buttons, to accomplish the desired results. Both methods of actuation require the user to consciously choose what flush-vloume they want so unless you re-train yourself and (everyone that uses your toilet), actual water-savings may be slim to none.

Good luck.

Scott,
I know this is an older post but I am right now looking at the Gerber Ultraflush and was thinking maybe the dual flush might be just the ticket for my wifes daycare,assuming the kiddies can figure it out.

Does it have the handle like the regular Ultraflush or the older Ultraflush push-button on the tank lid?

If is does have the handle, I am assuming you push up for #1 and down for #2?

Jeff

JCturboT

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Terry.

Can you tell me how the handle works on the Gerber dual flush? Is it an up/down or a hold down for a longer flush?

Jeff

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ecoflush_tank-2.jpg

Down for 1.6 and up for the small flush.
That being said, the EcoFlush is not recommended by me. You're much better off with the Flushmate pressure assist that can be had in 1.6 or 1.1
That one was removed because it was getting glitchy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks