Misaligned P-trap for tub

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
Don't ask how.... just suffice it to say my P-trap ended up "less than vertical" during my current basement remodel. Now my new tub drain doesn't line up with the trap compression inlet. Redoing the trap doesn't seem to be an option due to the lack of available pvc between all the joints. I found a rubber sleeve designed for misaligned sinks, disposals, and such that appears would give me enough "flex" to match up my systems. My concern is: Is it proper and legal - or is there a better way? Any input would be appreciated. I would love to slap it together but worry about longevity.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Take a picture of it; sometimes a rubber connector is a last resort, but it is a resort that only you can accept if it is your own home. Knowing me I would tear it all out and do it right though.
I only use those in the worst of scenario's, especially if the house is deplorable and the termites are holding hands to keep the house from falling down. LOL

TheZster

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Take a picture of it; sometimes a rubber connector is a last resort, but it is a resort that only you can accept if it is your own home. Knowing me I would tear it all out and do it right though.
I only use those in the worst of scenario's, especially if the house is deplorable and the termites are holding hands to keep the house from falling down. LOL

Sounds depressing. House is beautiful, 3 years old - $400,000.

The inlet pipe to the P-trap is off vertical enough that the vertical drain pipe from the tub just won't fit. I've been playing with it for hours - 3 trips to the hardware store for ideas..... So far - nothing. I "could" tear it out and reglue everything - but I'm "joint to joint" all the way to the main stack and don't have any "pipe stub" to start over with. Ever heard of an adapter that will slip over the OD of a joint? My rubber connector works - but I don't think the building inspector will appreciate it when he visits (or is it "legal" but immoral)

Again - any advice will be appreciated....

TheZster

Reaction score
Just read Terry's response to a similar ()kindasorta() problem. How about using a no-hub coupling with metal shielding instead of a plain rubber connector? ProFlex for example. Would that be up to code?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks