A real mess

Users who are viewing this thread

pick

Reaction score
So I was rerouting a 2" pvc vent and broke it at a 45 degree fitting at the slab level. Was trying to union a 4' new section between two cut sections and of course the 2" does not bend enough to get one end into the union. Question, how does one union a section between two older ones? On the net I saw a telescoping coupling. Would this do the trick and within code? I'm going to dig out the 2" drain stub to attach a new 45 but will still face inserting a new section above the slab. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
They make a slip or repair coupling. It does not have the stops But the trick is to properly align the coupling onto both pipes when sliding it into place, and work fast before the glue bonds the coupling where you do not want it bonded.

pick

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did see that coupling at the orange box and will pick one up and give it a try. Now where's the jack hammer!

jakhamer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Do not use the all rubber ones...it must have a stainless band that goes all the way around the rubber...making the whole assembly ridged...all the HDs out here do not carry the banded couplings...only Low*s carry them...

pick

Reaction score
Is this the coupling you are refering to:

proflex.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
coupling

Yes, although the picture is not for the one you need. The one shown is a reducing coupling and you need a straight one for your pipe size.

pick

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. The vent is a "wet" vent and will be sealed inside the wall. I have two airconditioning units in the attick that are plumbed to this vent stack for the condensation drip. So is this coupling "code" for such an installation?
Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've heard a few places prohibit them, but yes, they are in the national codes and are acceptable for use most places.

pick

Reaction score
Thanks, we live just outside the city of Houston on the west side and only have to deal with National codes at this time.
Regards

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks