(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Drop-In Sink Installation

Default Drop-In Sink Installation

First, I appologize if I am posting in the wrong forum/section. If so please point me in the right direction

This question relates to the installtion of a drop-in sink in a laminate countertop. I have the sink installed. I put plumbers putty under the lip and followed all directions as best as I could. The sink however does not sit completely flush with the countertop. There is a gap between the countertop that measures anywhere from approximately less than a 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. Just enough that I can see the putty. I always thought that the drop-in type sinks were supposed to be completely flush. Am I wrong or is the gap that I described ok. The only correction I can think of is that the cut-out is not big enough and is binding the sink or that I put too much plumbers putty. I doubt it is the putty problem. Any suggestions or comments welcome and very much appreciated.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

I would think the hole is a little small, did you cut it per mfr. specs?
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Lav or kitchen? Stainless or cast?

Thanks for your replies. It is a stainless kitchen sink. I thought it might be cut a little small also. I did the best I could cutting to the mfg. specs. However, my hand isn't very steady. I thought I might take it back off and try to sand the spots that were tight to the sink. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmberry79 View Post
    Thanks for your replies. It is a stainless kitchen sink. I thought it might be cut a little small also. I did the best I could cutting to the mfg. specs. However, my hand isn't very steady. I thought I might take it back off and try to sand the spots that were tight to the sink. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks again.
    Did you use the template that should have came with the sink?
    Are all the hold down clips tight?

Get rid of the putty and use clear silicon caulk.
    Lip should be tight unless you got a sink thats bent, luck.

Default sink

Put the sink in the opening without any putty or sealant and see how it fits. It should sit on the countertop without a gap. Putty, especially if it is not fresh, may not compress fully, nor is it the material I would use. A tub/tile caulk will seal the rim and be easier to clean up than silicone.