Toto Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

D

dc_homeplumber

After reading this site for months, I am convinced by Terry and the other plumbers here that Toto is the way to go. Before I do it, I need some professional advice. The chemicals in my water are so harsh that a red five year flapper in the toilet tank generally lasts about six months. I also have to frequently replace my Fluidmaster seals. If I go with the Ultramax, how readily available are the flapper and refill (G-Max???) valve and how difficult is it to replace the refill valve in the Ultramax?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
they don't look any different than a normal toilet to replace. with the larger than normal flapper, as it starts to get soft, it can collapse into the hole probably sooner than a smaller one. I saw some toto models that came with something slightly different for the flapper valve - it was more of a plastic frame with a washer on it than being all rubber. Don't know which model it was, but it isn't on either of mine. Also not sure if it is available as a retrofit or if it would last longer.

someone else said that the fill valve on Toto is made by Korky. You might find info about it on that site.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg
The Toto G-Max flappers are the long lasting red rubber made by Korky.
I have replacements and other dealers should too.
The fill valve is made by Korky too, I have those and yesterday I noticed the hardware store had them too.
Fill valves and flappers can be replaced without tools quickly.

The flush valve on the Ultramax is held on with two clips, if the rubber seal below the flush valve goes bad, you will need to know about them. It's easy to do though. Just loosen the screws from the top and pivot the clips, the flush valve will lift out.
The Ultramax is a very easy toilet to work on. :)
toto_flush_valve_bottom_view.jpg

Last edited:
D

dc_homeplumber

One last question for Terry: Since you have tried them all, which is your preference of the Drake and Ultramax? I really like the idea of a one-piece (cleanability, etc.), but I also want the best value for the money.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For best value, you should also consider the Ultimate.

I like the one-piece designs,
Easier install,
Quieter,
Less to clean, (how do you clean between the tank and bowl?)
They do come with the softclose seat.

D

dc_homeplumber

Is there something special or unique about the Korky fill valve used in the Totos or can a Fluidmaster be used as a replacement?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see why the Fluidmaster wouldn't work.

Both the Fluidmaster and the Korky quietfill put water in the tanks.
I've use both as replacement valves in many of the different brands of toilets.

The Korky has less water hammer and is quieter.
quietfill.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks