Do you believe?

Do you believe we ever landed on the Moon?

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
How many people believe we were on the Moon?

Apollo 11 crew: Moon less interesting than Mars

SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer Seth Borenstein, Ap Science Writer – 2 hrs 59 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The first astronauts to walk on the moon want President Barack Obama to aim for a new destination: Mars.
On Monday, the Apollo 11 crewmen, fresh from a Washington lecture Sunday in which two of them expressed concerns about NASA getting bogged down on the moon, are meeting with Obama at the White House.
In one of their few joint public appearances, the crew of Apollo 11 spoke on the eve of the 40th anniversary of man's first landing on the moon, but didn't get soggy with nostalgia. They instead spoke about the future and the more distant past.
Sunday night, a packed crowd at the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum — 7,000 people applied in a lottery for 485 seats — didn't get the intimate details of the Eagle's landing on the moon with little fuel left, or what the moon looked like, or what it felt like to be there.
They got second man on the moon Buzz Aldrin's pitch for Mars. He said the best way to honor the Apollo astronauts "is to follow in our footsteps; to boldly go again on a new mission of exploration."
First man on the moon Neil Armstrong only discussed Apollo 11 for about 11 seconds. He gave a professorial lecture titled "Goddard, governance and geophysics," looking at the inventions and discoveries that led to his historic "small step for a man" on July 20, 1969.
Armstrong said the space race was "the ultimate peaceful competition: USA versus USSR. It did allow both sides to take the high road with the objectives of science and learning and exploration."
Apollo 11 command module pilot Michael Collins, who circled the moon alone while Armstrong and Aldrin walked on it, said the moon was not interesting, but Mars is.
"Sometimes I think I flew to the wrong place. Mars was always my favorite as a kid and it still is today," Collins said. "I'd like to see Mars become the focus, just as John F. Kennedy focused on the moon."
The man who founded and directed Mission Control Houston, Christopher Kraft Jr., also jumped on the go-somewhere-new, do-something-different bandwagon.
"What we need is new technology; we have not had that since Apollo," Kraft said as part of the lecture at the Smithsonian. "I say to Mr. Obama: Let's get on with it. Let's invest in the future."
As the men of NASA of the 1960s talked about new technology and new goals, the current NASA is still looking back at the moon.
NASA is still marching toward a goal of returning to the moon of Armstrong and Aldrin and this time putting a base there. The current plan is based on building new rockets that the former NASA administrator called "Apollo on steroids," with an alternative — a derivative of the space shuttle — floating through the space agency.
Although they didn't directly criticize NASA's current plans, Aldrin and Collins said the moon is old hat. Collins said he is afraid that NASA's exploration plans would be bogged down by a return visit to the moon.
Aldrin presented an elaborate slide detailing how to make a quick visit to the moon a stepping stone to visits to the Martian moon Phobos, Mars itself, and even some asteroids like Apophis that may someday hit Earth. Aldrin said he and Armstrong landed on the moon 66 years after the Wright brothers first flew an airplane. What he would like would be for humanity to land on Mars 66 years after his flight. That would be 2035.
And even though Armstrong didn't talk about the future in his 19-minute discourse, Aldrin dragged his commander onto the Mars bandwagon anyway. "It was a great personal honor to walk on the moon, but as Neil once observed, there are still places to go beyond belief," he said. "Isn't it time to continue our journey outward, past the moon?"

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
With the # of people that would have to be in on the conspiricy it would have been impossible to cover it up this long....

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
i think unless thay are looking for a new world for us to populate, they should spend their money and talent on making our world better.

Cookie

Reaction score
I think spice to life is a necessary thing, otherwise the boredom will kill you alone, but, as much as I want to believe we walked on the moon, ( and the day they offer shuttles for an overnight stay I am going to be one of the first) I just don't understand how they got past not being destroyed by the radiation of the sun. The sunflares are strong enough to shut down systems here on earth. But, I want to believe :)

Peanut, see those socks? they are necessary.., :)

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
i think unless thay are looking for a new world for us to populate, they should spend their money and talent on making our world better.
The US military (among others) and the US NASA have made tremendous advances in many types of technologies that have improved the quality of life for people all over the world. Without their research programs over the last 5 decades, we would be limited to individual accidental discoveries that may or may not have made it into production and wide spread common daily use around the world.

But now, in the current financial mess that we are in, and will be for the foreseeable future (I think forever), we can not afford more spending of freshly printed fake dollars. And frankly, I do not think our lives need to be improved by having more products to make our lives easier.

Now if they could guarantee a cure for cancers, make the physically disabled walk again and get people off their asses and be more physical, maybe I'd be for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks