How can I re-create this 80 yr old drain situation in my remodel?

Users who are viewing this thread

t56tr

Reaction score
How can I update this 80 yr old drain situation in my remodel?

problem being solved!!!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

What is your definition of "economical"? That system is completely "illegal" under current codes, and is specifically mentioned as not acceptable in many of them.

t56tr

Reaction score
I guess I kind of worded it wrong. By economical I would say I mean keeping the work contained within that room.

I do not mind doing alot of work and spending money, I just would rather not have to start opening up any other walls/ceilings or doing any other demolition to any other rooms of the house at this time if possible.

I gave a contractor a verbal description of what I had found and his response was that what is there now is considered illegal by code and that I had to tie into the stack lower down. Dont quite see how that is possible though....

Last edited:

t56tr

Reaction score
Thanks Ted -

I have a code check book I picked up at the depot as well. It would be nice to get it in laymans terms as well from someone.

On a lighter note, I bet that big cast elbow with the 4 inlets/outlets was the "bees knees" in 1930.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As others have noted, what you have is illegal under modern code. The problem you are facing is how to make it legal under today's code, and that is where the can of worms lies. There are many pitfalls that a novice will encounter in plumbing. Some large, some not-so large, but any of them can be done wrong and cause you to fail inspection which results in having to tear out work and redo it. DIY is fine, but we all reach points that are beyond our experience. Books are fine, but ask any pro if everything he knows came out of a book. He learned on the job with a journeyman overseeing his work and chewing is tail when he didn't do something perfectly. I would urge you to hire a professional. Perhaps you can do some of the "grunt" work and save a dollar to two, but you will be time and money ahead having it done right the first time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bend

That "tapped closet bend" is illegal under all codes, and even if it were not, I doubt that you would find one with more than two tappings, one on either side. Replicating that drain system, in a legal manner, will require some ingenuity and demolition.

t56tr

Reaction score
Ok...I tried to go back and edit the title of the post but could not. The question is, how would a pro deal with this. Iam going to have to get some estimates and I need to be armed with some starting info

Jastori

Reaction score
You seem to have plenty of access, but there are a lot of details to get correct (which is mostly what the posters here are cautioning you about).

I wouldn't worry so much about trying to design it yourself ahead of time. I would just have several pros come in and estimate the job. Most likely, they will need to replace everything in the floor except the main stack. You might be able to reuse some of your existing venting. Emphasize that you want it done to code, permitted, and inspected. Try to discuss enough details with them so that you are comfortable with their plan, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

One thing to be careful about is structure. Make sure they understand the code requirements about drilling / notching joists, etc. It is important that your floor structure is not compromised by the plumbing modifications.

Last edited:

t56tr

Reaction score
Speaking of structure, it's interesting to look at how this house was built. It looks like they came in and framed it all out, then had the elec and plumber come in and run their stuff where ever they had to. There are just butchered up holes and notches everywhere. I mean there are spots that I uncovered where a guy bored out like 70 percent of a joist or beam to get a pipe through.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

quote; It looks like they came in and framed it all out, then had the elec and plumber come in and run their stuff where ever they had to.

It is still done that way. It would be difficult to have the plumber and elect come in first and then build the structure around them. We would need more information than those pictures show to try to design a new system. AND even if we had that, each of us would probably do it differently. THAT is why you need local plumbers who can see the entire picture to give you estimates.

t56tr

Reaction score
Wow in my line of work, which is telecommunications cabling, our path has already been designated before the construction starts. For example the electrician will have three 4" pipes running to a third floor closet, which the gc/ Builder had made sure he had room for. Guess that's commmercial though. Wow can you imagine the look on a builders face when the heating/cooling guy shows up to put a whole forced air system in a place when the builder thought it was going to be hot water heat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks