Killing the black ring..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Donn2390

Reaction score
We are a four bathroom house with only two people living here. Two of the bathrooms are seldom used. About the only time we go into those rooms is for cleaning purposes.
The toilets develop a black ring around the water spot, which is difficult to get off, and looks really bad. Any suggestions on how to prevent the black ring..?
Thank you in advance.......

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Black Ring

Are you using one of those handy cleaners that you put in the tank? if so and you have a black flapper on the flush valve it could be desolving due to the cleaner; a lot of parts in the toilet tank may have a prob. with certain cleaners. :confused:

lindrix

Reaction score
vinegar and baking soda

Try pouring some cheap white vinegar and baking soda in the bowl. It's not as hard on rubber or plastic and it will keep a ring from forming for a week or so.

Achutch

Reaction score
Anything gets dirty even when it isn't used, and that goes beyond toilets. My toilets at home are idle for most of the summer. Rings will form in them and the water gets cloudy. The rings come off easily with bleach and a brush. (This is water from a county wide municipal system and chloramine is used as a disinfectant).

I have never had rings in either of the toilets here in the cabin, and they use brook water that is sent through a sediment filter. My neighbors have shallow wells and their toilets are stained orange.

If the ring is hard to remove, use something like Lysol Heavy Duty Bowl Cleaner (which contains HCl) and then once it's clean, add a little bleach to the bowl water and leave it (and I am referring to the toilets that are not used often).

Good luck!

achutch

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks