How to Run-off Well After Treating

Users who are viewing this thread

bnatural

Reaction score
Our well water has always run perfectly clear, but a few months ago we started getting rust stains in the toilets. So last evening I treated my well for iron bacteria. Afterward, I opened all of the faucets in the home, in order to empty the old water in our holding tank and also to allow the IB treatment to enter into all of the pipes leading into the house. After about 40 minutes, a very fine dirt started coming from the faucets. It seemed quite heavy ... was enough to make the water brown and actually accumulated in the tubs and sinks when the water was drained. It also worked to diminish water pressure in a couple of the bathroom sink faucets (most likely due to some hard-water scale build-up on the screens, which didn't allow the sediment to filter through). The tub faucets have good pressure and run freely.

My husband passed away two years ago and my daughter and I are managing this on our own. As with everyone these days, money is a bit tight, so in trying to fix one problem (the iron bacteria), I definitely don't want to create another problem. We haven't turned on any faucets since last evening and we're currently using bottled water, so we don't have to use the plumbing. I would GREATLY appreciate any information regarding the best way to proceed from here. I know I need to get the dirt/sediment out of the house pipes, but am wondering if it would be best to use the outside hoses first (we have two outside faucets from the house and one faucet leading directly from the well's holding tank) and then turn on the inside faucets? Also, do I need to completely empty the water from the well's holding tank? And if so, how do I know when it's time to turn the water off, so that I don't end up pulling dirt/sediment into the plumbing lines again?

Again, we've never had *any* sediment lead into the house prior to this occurance.

Thank you so very much (all of you) for the wonderful information you share so freely on this forum!

Kind regards,
Tamara

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
How long the water must run depends on the amount of water in the well. On a large deep well the water will often have to run constantly for several hours to flush out the well. Most will use an outside hose (2 is even better). Be careful where this water goes, it will kill grass, plants, etc., and can stain concrete.

Assuming that the solution you put in the well smelled like bleach, the water must run as least until this smell is gone. This does not necessarily mean that your water will be running clear. Depending on the source of the discoloration and changes in the local water table, it might or might not clear up. Some people find that the water clears up after running it for a few days, while other have the problem come back shortly thereafter.

If you have not had the water tested, I would do so about a week after you have finished running it off.

Good Luck!

bnatural

Reaction score
I appreciate your answers very much.

Gary, you had mentioned I needed to run off the well, adding the caviat "don't run it dry" ... being very *new* at this, I wasn't certain how to tell when I needed to stop. You had also mentioned that the sediment was most likely due to the die-off of the iron bacteria, but I wasn't sure if the dirt coming from the inside pipes was also a normal part of the process. Needing answers quickly, I decided it would be easiest to post a new question.

We stayed at my mom's home yesterday and are now headed back home to give this a go ... I have my fingers crossed :)

This forum is such a wonderful resource! Thanks to all who share knowledge here!

Kind regards,
Tamara :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks