How do I cut hole in stainless steel sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Problem: I've got to retrofit a new type of valve in a stainless steel sink in a jail. The old buttons that operate the valves will have to be replaced by new ones which require a bigger hole. So, I'll have to make the hole bigger.

The only tool I can think of to do this is a knockout punch & die. However, the info says it's only useful on mild steel and aluminum. So, do I try it anyway? Is there a better way or better tool to use?
91201.gif

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I doubt those "tornado" or stepped up bits will work... the hole has to be 1 1/4".... anyone else vote for the knockout punch and I'll go with it. I don't want to make a mess out of the sink!!! Even if I tear up the tool after this one job I'll still be happy.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bit

They make large UniBits which will drill the size you need. The advantage of using one is that they will be automatically centered on the existing hole.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I use a Lenox stepped bit all the time to cut holes in stainless sinks. I wouldn't have thought it would work either until I saw it being done at a trade show many years ago. Unless the jail sink is very heavy it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They make large UniBits which will drill the size you need. The advantage of using one is that they will be automatically centered on the existing hole.
Well, I've already got the knockout kit... so I probably should try that. Since the hole is "D" punched it might be a bit cantankerous with a drill bit but those things definitely do a good job. I guess I'm worried about it because the one I bought is the el-cheap-0 sold by Harbor Freight, carbon steel, not hardened steel like a better quality too might be. But, I have had some pretty good tools from there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

If the hole is not round, then the KO punch will be better. Try to position it so that there is metal between the die and the mandrel at all points, otherwise it could jam or snap something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks