How to handle sediment from well water

Users who are viewing this thread

bnatural

Reaction score
Our well water normally runs clear. However, this evening we performed an iron-bacteria maintenance using food grade hydrogen peroxide. After turning on all of the faucets (hot/cold) and letting the water run for about 40 minutes (working to pull the treatment into all pipes), a fine brown sediment (dirt) started coming from the faucets.

My first concern is how best to proceed in working to remove the sediment from the water pipes in the house ... also, have we pulled this sediment into the water tank and, if so, how do we work to remove it.

Secondly, I'm wondering what you feel might be the issue here. The water table is at 25 feet and our well is 150 deep ... I'm not certain how deep our pump sits.

Thank you, in advance, for your time and service in answering!

Kind regards,
Tamara

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It's probably normal due to killing IRB and releasing iron from their gut or oxidizing iron in the water or cleaning rust out of the pipes; probably all three.

I wouldn't have used peroxide, chlorine is the right tool and much less expensive and IMO less dangerous.

So run off the well and the water should clear up. Just don't run it dry.

bnatural

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you, Gary! However, there is a *lot* of dirt (as a fine sediment) coming through the pipes ... is this still normal when killing off iron bacteria? Also, when you say "run off the well", how do I do that? I believe there's a lot of sediment in the house pipes and they're not clearing ... and a few have clogged (little water coming from them). Is it best to use the hose for this purpose? And when/how should I work to clear the house pipes? I'm having to do this myself and have little knowledge, but am a fast learner :)

Thank you, again! Your time and help are both GREATLY appreciated!
Tamara

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks