(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports Recommended toilet, Gerber DF-21-318 a big Flop!

Oh boy, another toilet to avoid...

Looks like American Standard is now using the WDI EcoFlush single-flush in their new-design 1.1 gpf pressure-flush Yorkville PA and Cadet PA models. (The 1.6 still uses a Sloan Flushmate, as does the currently not-redesigned Glenwall). I find this funny... WDI is owned by Gerber/Danze parent Globe Union Group (which is actually based in Taiwan, though a lot of their plants are in mainland China), and American Standard Brands is cross-subsidizing a competitor in the process. Though, to be fair, Crane Plumbing (another American Standard brand) has utilized WDI EcoFlush in their single and dual-flush pressure flush toilets for a while.

Speaking of the EcoFlush, one found a leaky Gerber DF-28-380 at a well-known hotel in Vegas. Not exactly the best place for leaks.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 04-17-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Costco 279602 dual flush and Foremost AIO-1000EW dual flush toilet

It looks like Costco is now selling the EcoFlush too.
    Homeowners can't seem to keep the tanks working though.
    I quit selling any toilets with this WDI pressure assist tank.

Here is the Costco toilet now being sold with this Lemon.

Costco dual flush comes with a WDI EcoFlush pressure tank.
    Homeowners are still asking how to fix them six months later.

If you or any customers ever have any questions or concerns regarding Eco-Flush, they can contact our Technical Support Team directly at 800-391-9821

One more toilet to avoid.

We no longer sell any toilet with the WDI Dual Flush combination.
    We have had to replace more than 40% of the tanks in the first year of production due to failure of the actuator mechanism.

They are a piece of junk.

If someone wants pressure assist, make sure it has a Flushmate inside.
    The WDI EcoFlush is not made by Flushmate.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-07-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

Default Costco #279598 All-In-One Dual Flush High Efficiency Toilet

Support Drags This Down
    Pros: like the chair height feature., like the 2 flush options.
    Cons: poor documentation for installation., next to no information on the eco-flush mechanism., poor customer service., slow parts replacement

Model Number: 279598

"Hard to provide a really good review as the toilet broke down after one week and we're still waiting on a replacement part. I do like the chair height - it's easier for my wife to get seated and then up again. It can be tough with a bad back and a regular low toilet. We like the water saver concept - a lift of the handle does a 1.1 gallon flush for smaller jobs, and a push downward does the full 1.6 gallon flush. But this is where we've run into trouble. After less than a week, the toilet would no longer flush. We called the Foremost customer support number on the printed documentation, but they obviously had no idea what I was talking about. I guess they finally figured out that we had the 'Eco-flush' model and referred us to a different phone number for a company in CA - ( that runs on Pacific Standard Time - so don't call early from the east). My call went to an answering machine and I was instructed to leave information and they'd call back. No return call. So I called again and got to speak to a support person. Eddie gave me a couple of things to check, and I agreed to call him back. Guess what? Answering machine again. Left message - no call back. Called again - now on day 3 with no toilet in the master bath - and talked to support again. They decided to send a part; we were told they would Fedex it right out. Nothing the next day, nothing the day after, long Memorial day weekend, nothing the day after. Another call to support. Did you guess 'answering machine' again? Called again and was told that the part was sent via Fedex but must be 'super saver' Fedex. It's not due to us for 2 more days. We'll have been without a working toilet for nearly 2 weeks by the time this is done.
    Having said all that, we're still hopeful that we'll end up with a decent toilet, but my recommendation would be to buy from a local supplier that you can grab by the throat if things go wrong!"

pgcorky
    Leesburg, VA

Last edited by Reader Review; 11-16-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Mechanism unreliable

"I have used 2 of these in my house for 6 or 7 months now, and want to revise my rating of this item from 4 stars to 2.
    1 of the 2 toilets still works fine, but the other one's mechanism is getting tricky: more than half of the time it fails to do a clean flush. You just have to wait and do it once or twice more."

MichelefromPA
    Philadelphia, PA

Last edited by Reader Review; 11-16-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Poorly designed, despite best intentions
    "We bought 2 of these toilets, both had flushing mechanism flaws. The toilets "ran," and we ultimately stopped using one of them because it's flush was so unreliable. Avoid this toilet until it's successfully redesigned."

Anonymous
    Seattle, WA

Terry (or anybody) is this still an outstanding issue? I'm looking for something like this toilet.
    Is the problem on this dual flush also exhibited on the single flush version: 21-317?

Blog Entries

The dual flush Ecoflush is made in China. I no longer sell that tank.

The 1.1 and the 1.6 gallon Flushmate is made in Detroit Michigan, and has been in use for twenty years.
    I recommend getting the 1.1 gallon Flushmate if you want the Watersense Gerber.
    Parts of the Eastside get a $100.00 rebate for a Watersense toilet.

Consumer Reports should have made some effort in their report to warn people about the WDI dual flush product. I don't understand how "junk" continues to get "best buy" ratings. But then, I'm a plumber selling, installing and repairing toilets for a "living", and so I have to put up with the fallout from their report.

If you are looking for a 10" rough, ADA bowl, then I have in stock the Toto CST744EF.10 for $369.99 that gets the rebate.
    The Gerber 21-317 is the 1.6 gallon version of the Flushmate, with a 10" rough and sells for $339.99 locally here in Bothell. It takes a day or two to get this.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-05-2010 at 12:33 PM.

I just love it when these other companies try to imitate the FlushMate....

The Good Ol Kohler stab at it with their Pressure Lite Exploding Toilet...

Then there was the orphaning of the PF-2's......

And now these WDI beauties.... ROFLMAO

When will they ever learn?
    I did long ago....
    I buy Flushmate and avoid the imitators....

If a company like Kohler can't engineer their way out of it with superseded parts superseding parts imagine how a lessor company will do....
    Kohler got smart and threw in the towel....
    When are these idiots going to figure it out....
    Last edited by Redwood; 12-06-2010 at 02:57 PM.

So what is the solution to this faulty toilet? I have called the customer service and (949) number several times which has been a complete joke. (800) number is just an answering machine, and lady at the (949) number says all she can do is pass along your information, a la the answer machine. In the end, no one ever gets back to you. This has been a big disappointing experience.

Blog Entries

The solution is to replace the inner tank with the Flushmate 1.1 gallon tank. You can get that replacement on the Flushmate site, which by the way is getting very tired of homeowners asking about the WDI tanks made in China. Flushmate does not make the WDI dual flush. Flushmate manufactures their 1.1 and 1.6 tanks in Detroit Michigan. They are a local product that has been in use for years and years.

As for Consumer Reports, this is the kind of reporting I seen from them for the last 20 years not just on toilets. I can see it now the boss comes in and says hurry up with that toilet report you have TV's tomorrow and toasters Friday.... Consumer reports has lost all credibility with me since the made Bear paint a top pic. I have built two kind of testing laboratories in my 38 year construction career. I know the personal and equipment needed for a lab to do correct, specific, and certified testing is phenomenal. In my opinion Consumer Reports opinion should be trusted as much as the main stream media.
    Last edited by kevinmadams; 01-16-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Your best protection: If its not in a dollar store, and it says made in China and includes a moving part, do not buy it.

I have three Gerber Dual Flush toilets. The first two failed within 6 months of their purchase and WDI customer service took care of the problem right away. The third and final toilet started to fail two months ago. I have tried and tried and tried to contact WDI and NO ONE returns my calls. I'm done dealing with WDI. Yesterday I called Gerber to complain and they are in denial about this problem. They told me that the WDI product is kind of like a package inside of a package and that their (Gerber's) warranty only covers the china and that I need to contact WDI. I had to repeat myself over and over to the Gerber rep. that WDI is not returning calls and I that I felt like WDI was hiding from a huge problem and that I felt like Gerber needs to take care of the promblem NOW!

I'm ordering three Flushmate replacement tanks today... I'm done with Gerber and I'm done with WDI and heck I'm done with made in China!

Default WDI Ecoflush Handle dripping

I have a Crane Plumbing toilet with WDI Ecoflush (unknown model). The handle drips when you flush it. I've checked the tank and I can't see why. Also, the dual-flush dosen't seem to work. Would aprecciate any help.

WDI Technology EcoFlush
    Last edited by Terry; 08-31-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Here is the Costco toilet now being sold with this Lemon

Why do you call it a lemon?