Lawn well filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello all,
I drove a 20ft well and can get 7-8 gpm out of it. The water stains everything it touches with rust.

1)are there any affordable filters available for iron that wont effect good pressure?

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
What kind of pump are you using, and how often do you irrigate, and is it for irrigation only or the house also. You could install a sediment filter if it's used occasionally. You'd have to change the cartridge filter occasionally. If you use a lot of water out of this well pretty frequently, you'd probably need some kind of oxidizing backwashing filter to remove the iron.

Reaction score
Sorry I left out specifics. 1HP jet pump. 1 3/4" driven pvc. Water is used only for the lawn, since my thoughtful city outlaws we use any other water than theirs for the house :mad:
I plan on twice a week at least when I run the irrigation system in the lawn. I was mostly concerned with losing pressure and G.P.M. if I installed a filter. Maybe I will just have to get precise with my sprinkler placement?
thanks!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A sediment cartridge is only going to remove particles larger than the micron rating of the cartridge, and block up. And that doesn't do anything to remove the dissolved iron that is causing the rust stains.

To remove iron you must oxidize it and remove the rust (with a real filter) from the water stream or, use ion exchange, a water softener.

You don't want to size a softener correctly for the gpm irrigation can use and then use softened water to water the lawn, it will kill vegetation. So, you should rip out all the stuff that can't survive without watering and be greener as a water conservationist.... ;)

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have very high iron in the water I use for irrigation. Forget about filtering it out unless you want to spend big $$$. They make some chemical (The name escapes me right now) that ties up the dissolved iron that you can inject into your irrigation water, but I heard that it only works at relatively low concentrations of iron. The easiest and cheapest thing to do is as you suggest, become more precise on your sprinkler placements. Flowers and shrubs look nice around the house and walk anyways:)

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks