Overflow help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kokopelli

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help explain how the overflow is supposed to be installed.

I've dropped in the new tub and can't for the life of me figure out how the overflow pipe should be attached with the gasket and the overflow plate. The hole for the screw is in the middle of the pipe but the supplied screw doesn't reach through the plate and to the hole. If it did fit would it be secured by a nut on the otherside?

And then there's the gasket -- I'm feeling like I'm missing the obvious but where does the gasket go? It doesn't fit inside the overflow plate . . .

Tearing my hair out . . .
tearhairout.gif

K.

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 398

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
picture

I am not sure what that is a picture of, but it is not like any overflow cover I have ever seen, nor is it like any behind the tub overflow fitting. The proper overflow fitting has a "boss" in the center of it. The screw goes through the decorative cover plate and into that boss so it can be removed for snaking. If it had a nut on the backside, you would never be able to unfasten, or refasten it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this a new fitting you are installing? If so please provide manufacturer name and model so we can figure out what it is.

If this is existing in your tub, something is wrong. The diameter is too small to gasket against the back of the tub, and of course there is that hole! Show us a picture of the cover plate you removed.

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Reaction score
That picture is of the pipe behind the overflow opening. Unfortunatly the old overflow plate went to the dump with the old bathtub. It didn't even occur to me that it would be a problem. I really don't want to pull the tub back out as I have already finished one side of the wall. Is there anything I can do to make this work? Oh and there is no access panel . . .

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

K

Kokopelli

Reaction score
Oh one other thing I currently have the wall open on this side of the tub . . .

TheZster

Reaction score
Can you access the overflow drain pipe? To my untrained eye, it appears you've got a really old type overflow that doesn't fit your new tub. If you can access the overflow drain pipe, maybe all you need do is buy a new overflow drain/cover/pipe and slip it into the compression fitting...

Kokopelli

Reaction score
Fixed!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, I ended up cutting into the drywall from behind the tub, cut the copper pipe and slipped on a new overflow kit with a compression ring. It was such a pleasure to tighten up those last screws and know I had a good seal!

Thanks again

K

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks