Seeking advice on installing a natural gas grill

Users who are viewing this thread

elamcup

Reaction score
Hey,
Last year we had natural gas run to our home. The plumber used galvanized pipe from the meter with the 2 PSI regulator to the outside wall of the house. Inside he used ¾†CSST to a ball valve on 3/4†black iron pipe where there is a dirt trap pocket/drip leg. Next is the Maxitrol 325-5AL600 pressure regulator with an OPD, then ¾†black pipe to the manifold where ½†CSST goes to the boiler.
I just bought a natural gas grill that I need to run a gas line to and I need some advice. We will add a few more gas appliances to the system in the future. I am going to use ¾†black iron pipe and run a main across the basement past the location where future taps will come off of it. The gas grill will be at the end of the main and it will be reduced to 1/2†pipe. I plan on using galvanized pipe for the brick wall penetration and a brass isolation valve outside at the grill. From there I plan on more galvanized pipe to the grill. Everything will be above ground.
Here are my questions;
1.I have read the galvanizing flakes off of the inside of the pipes when exposed to natural gas. Do I need to put a dirt trap pocket/drip leg in the line at the grill?
2.I have read there is electrolysis between brass and galvanized pipe so the pipe will corrode away eventually. Is this true and if so how do I avoid it?
3.Will I have electrolysis between black iron and galvanized pipe?
4.I live in Baltimore County, Maryland. Can I use the black iron pipe outside and paint it to protect it?
5. :confused: If I can use the black pipe outside should I still use a drip leg at the grill?
Thanks for your help, Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here are my questions;
1.I have read the galvanizing flakes off of the inside of the pipes when exposed to natural gas. Do I need to put a dirt trap pocket/drip leg in the line at the grill?

Most gas supplies these days do not have that reaction any longer.

2.I have read there is electrolysis between brass and galvanized pipe so the pipe will corrode away eventually. Is this true and if so how do I avoid it?

ELectrolysis is only a factor when there is there is a reragent, such as water, creating the current. It is not a factor with gas, and because of the positions of steel and brass on the nobility scale, it does not occur between them anyway.

3.Will I have electrolysis between black iron and galvanized pipe?

They are the same material, so even if gas caused electrolsis it would not occur.

4.I live in Baltimore County, Maryland. Can I use the black iron pipe outside and paint it to protect it?

Usually.

5. :confused: If I can use the black pipe outside should I still use a drip leg at the grill?

The drip leg is not a "galvanized pipe" requirement. It is also to contain moisture and "dirt" from the gas, so if you buiding department requires them you should install it.
]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks