Expansion Tank Question - Boiler forum

Users who are viewing this thread

LD

Reaction score
Sorry I posted this in the water heater forum by mistake so I am repeating here.

I have an expansion tank over my boiler. I came in to catch it dripping down the side and noticed the hard water evidence of prior dripping onto the boiler.
Is it supposed to be doing this? How does it need to be adjusted? If this is important then I need to call a plumber. Thanks in advance

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Sorry I posted this in the water heater forum by mistake so I am repeating here.

I have an expansion tank over my boiler. I came in to catch it dripping down the side and noticed the hard water evidence of prior dripping onto the boiler.
Is it supposed to be doing this? How does it need to be adjusted? If this is important then I need to call a plumber. Thanks in advance

A picture would be helpful. But any sort of leak should be repaired.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it could be the connection to the tank, it is probably more likely the tank is shot. It should be primarily filled with air. If you rap it with your knuckle, you should be able to tell if it is full of water or not. If it is full, it is almost certainly shot...replace it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The nice thing about expansion tanks is they are easy to replace. If it's full of water, it will be heavy and since they are often awkward, use care when unscrewing it.

patsfan78

Web Development | HVAC
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechheat.com
Replace it

Unfortunately, sounds like you need to replace it. But the good note, is that they are relatively inexpensive and require no real plumbing knowledge. Purchase a good one, the kind with a bladder inside. If it is full of water it will be heavy so don't drop it on your foot.:)

Good Luck

http://www.hitechheat.com

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Unfortunately, sounds like you need to replace it. But the good note, is that they are relatively inexpensive and require no real plumbing knowledge. Purchase a good one, the kind with a bladder inside. If it is full of water it will be heavy so don't drop it on your foot.:)

Good Luck

http://www.hitechheat.com

You forgot to mention that the boiler needs to be shut off. The pressure needs to be drained, and if the boiler is up to temperature, the water dripping out will be scalding hot. The tank needs to be properly sized and the pressure in the tank needs to be correct. Not exactly what I would call a DIY job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks