Sealing the driveway - any advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Want to do some preventative maintenance on my blacktop driveway and wondering if anyone here has any experience using the sealing products sold in the boxes in the 5 gal buckets?

Any recommendations or tips would be most appreciated. Anybody prefer one brand over another, etc.?

Thanks in advance

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes, I have done mine several times through the years, I have to do it again this fall. Do it in the fall for one. Secondly, make sure the ground is clean, and swept well from anything, if you hose it down, let it dry well. I fixed any cracks or holes with the stuff for it beforehand. It is very easy to do, just smelly, and dirty on the shoes, so wear older Nike's or boots.

I started at the top and worked my way down my driveway, and my driveway is long and circular. I did it myself so, it isn't that bad. I bought the big buckets at a Trader Horn, I found they had the best price, and I didn't buy the cheapest or the most expensive, I bought the middle of the line.

I bought an extra brush/broom and sat it in full-view of the kids and the neighbors but they all disappeared. :D

That is all I can think of.

Oh, so far as the maintenance of it, well, the best thing would be not to use it. lol. Park your cars at the neighbors. ;)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, I was told asphalt driveways will last around 20-years, sealing will make them look better in between, but not make them last longer. Now, if you have a crack, filling the crack will improve longevity.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Understood. I've read very good things about pli-stix crack filler. Also sounds like hiring a contractor may be worth the money when you consider that you totally destroy a pair of sneakers and jeans in the process -- as in, you don't want to ruin your washing machine by ever cleaning them again.

I'm a cheapskate, so I'm torn. At least I can admit it though.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ah, live alittle ... do it yourself can be fun and good excercise.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
FWIW, I was told asphalt driveways will last around 20-years, sealing will make them look better in between, but not make them last longer. Now, if you have a crack, filling the crack will improve longevity.

I was a concrete man years ago along with my career of plumbing. I basically worked like a horse making all kinds of money.

When it came time for the driveway to be done here, we opted for blacktop instantly.

Here's the reasons:

Concrete always cracks, looks bad after a few short years
Concrete moves over time
Concrete stains and is sightly
Concrete is bright if you have windows nearby and the sun hits it
Concrete loses its scribed finish as the top slowly disintegrates
Concrete can be slick in the right format
Concrete is permanent and you cannot "refresh" it's look without looking painted

Blacktop is dark, sun hits it and melts snow quickly
Blacktop can be coated every two years, making the surface look brand new
Blacktop is meant for moving traffic more than standstill. Large blacktop parking lots get destroyed from standing weight, and a strong subsurface is needed
Blacktop can be repaired quite easily or patched/replaced or layered over

The negatives about Blacktop is the maintenance (sealing and repaving over time)
Petroleum products can soften the blacktop surface, causing soft spots that will be destroyed by a parked vehicle

Blacktop can be accented nicely with concrete perimeter edging or rolled curb.

If you notice across the world, blacktop is a heavily used product for moving traffic roadways and parking lots.

Depending on the traffic a parking lot might possibly expect depends on whether the intermix of blacktop and concrete is used.

I would not of wanted a huge concrete driveway knowing the look of it as it ages. My patios I poured 15 years ago have lost most of its surface and the only cure to that fix is concrete stamping or tearing it all out and doing it over.

Blacktop would not be an option for patio or other areas like as such. Concrete should be used due to the dirty nature that blacktop can be on the shoes.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I was a concrete man years ago along with my career of plumbing. I basically worked like a horse making all kinds of money.

When it came time for the driveway to be done here, we opted for blacktop instantly.

Here's the reasons:

Concrete always cracks, looks bad after a few short years
Concrete moves over time
Concrete stains and is sightly
Concrete is bright if you have windows nearby and the sun hits it
Concrete loses its scribed finish as the top slowly disintegrates
Concrete can be slick in the right format
Concrete is permanent and you cannot "refresh" it's look without looking painted

Blacktop is dark, sun hits it and melts snow quickly
Blacktop can be coated every two years, making the surface look brand new
Blacktop is meant for moving traffic more than standstill. Large blacktop parking lots get destroyed from standing weight, and a strong subsurface is needed
Blacktop can be repaired quite easily or patched/replaced or layered over

The negatives about Blacktop is the maintenance (sealing and repaving over time)
Petroleum products can soften the blacktop surface, causing soft spots that will be destroyed by a parked vehicle

Blacktop can be accented nicely with concrete perimeter edging or rolled curb.

If you notice across the world, blacktop is a heavily used product for moving traffic roadways and parking lots.

Depending on the traffic a parking lot might possibly expect depends on whether the intermix of blacktop and concrete is used.

I would not of wanted a huge concrete driveway knowing the look of it as it ages. My patios I poured 15 years ago have lost most of its surface and the only cure to that fix is concrete stamping or tearing it all out and doing it over.

Blacktop would not be an option for patio or other areas like as such. Concrete should be used due to the dirty nature that blacktop can be on the shoes.

This could easily get in to a heated debate.

As long as it's properly designed and installed, concrete will outlast asphalt. It is not as flexible, so a proper preperation of the subgrade is very important. There is a lot of concrete still functioning after hundreds of years. I think the oldest concrete road is from 1891.

Both asphalt and concrete move over time. This is typically from frost heave. Again proper subgrade preperation is important. Asphalt will move because it's flexible. Look at the movement around intersections the next time you're driving.

Both materials can be inadvertantly stained or etched. Motor oil will stain concrete, but it will begin to eat away at the asphalt.

Stained concrete (intentionally) can be very attractive if you don't like it so bright.

Asphalt is typically used for roads because it's cheaper, is flexible, can have a better coeffecient of friction, and is quieter. Both materials are used though.

Concrete can be lightly powerwashed and/or bleached to renew it. Staining is an option too.

etc, etc...

Jason

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The one thing to avoid are the gypsy driveway sealers/ roof patchers/ whatever crews....who "just happen to be working in your neighborhood and we can give you a deal"/ Their 'deal' washes off in the first rain. This scam has been around since the aformentioned Roman roads, and is still here today. ( Is it a coincidence that the gypsies originated in Roman..ia?)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
driveway

Now, I was just going to suggest that he wait until the Williams boys are in their area. A flashy Cadillac with a chrome trailer hitch is the first sign they are there. They give super deals on their driveway sealer, and it is guaranteed until they cash the check, or the first rain, whichever happens first. Actually, since asphalt driveways crack because they are not continually compressed, driving over it periodically with a heavy truck or bus would make it last a lot longer.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Now, I was just going to suggest that he wait until the Williams boys are in their area. A flashy Cadillac with a chrome trailer hitch is the first sign they are there. They give super deals on their driveway sealer, and it is guaranteed until they cash the check, or the first rain, whichever happens first. Actually, since asphalt driveways crack because they are not continually compressed, driving over it periodically with a heavy truck or bus would make it last a lot longer.

If you put down too much weight over a small area you're likely to cause a rut, no?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks