(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Washing Machine -Warm Cycle is not warm

Default Washing Machine -Warm Cycle is not warm

We recently purchased a house with a washer.

The warm cycle is not hot enough. Though it is slightly warmer than cold - the temp should be higher. (The hot and cold are fine).

We were told there is nothing we can do about this - except to buy a different washer.

Is there anything that can be done?

Take off the hot water supply hose from the back of the washing machine and you may find a clogged screen filter where the water goes into the machine. That would be the easiest situation.

My money is on the screen being clogged. I had a similar problem for some time after my dip tube went bad. I'd have to clean that screen periodically. Now I have a new water heater, the problem is resolved.

Default warm

If the hot and cold are fine, the problem is probably a clogged filter, or a bad timer, because to get warm water both hot and cold are opened by the timer. If both hot and cold have the same flow, and the hot is not too hot or cool, or the cold too warm or cold, you get "warm" water. You could have "cold" cold water, and "warm" hot water which could result in "cool" warm water, if that is not too convoluted.

If the machine is located a long way from the water heater, then you will get a few gallons of cold water before the hot line sees hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If the machine is located a long way from the water heater, then you will get a few gallons of cold water before the hot line sees hot water.
    Especially if its a newer washing machine...lower water usage.

Depending on the size of the house and pipe lay out, you might need/want to install a recirc system.

Two options: Take a pliers and pull the screens out and replace with screened washers in the hoses or close the cold water valve enough to get the water temperature that you want! This isn't rocket science.