Lead drain pipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

BeautyFish

Reaction score
My simple "retile the powder room" project has turned into something a lot bigger than I first imagined. It turns out that I'm going to have to replace the subfloor, so while I'm at it I'd like to look at the possibility of replacing the lead drain pipe that runs from the large CI pipe to the sink. The joint where the lead meets the CI appears to be threaded, but I'm not cutting or touching anything until I hear from some experts. Since I'm going from a vanity sink to a pedestal, I may have to relocate the drain pipe anyway.

On the other hand, since there is so much else involved, I'm looking for the easiest solution. I was told by our township code officer that as long as the toilet and sink are being installed where the old ones were and no structural walls or members are being moved, no permit is necessary.

My question is: How do I marry PVC to the threaded joint in the cast iron? I've thought about just cutting the lead with a few inches to spare and using one of those clamping assemblies to go from one to the other, but I'm concerned about the strength of the soft lead. Anyway, I'd prefer to do it right if I can and not too much pain is involved.

Anyway, I appreciate any help anyone can give. I'm a handy guy and have experience with carpentry and electrical, but this is definitely new territory. Thanks a bunch.

Jim

Attachments

• LeadDrainPipe.jpg
    LeadDrainPipe.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 411
  • P9280008.jpg
    P9280008.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 401

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As you already recognize, there is more to this project than just a little drain relocation/replacement, but to answer the easy question, PVC is connected to CI (or any other material) with a banded or no-hub connector. You may encounter the neoprene sleeve commonly called a "Fernco". These make the connections, but are not to be used above the ground. You need the specific coupler for the pipes you are connecting. One end with fit the CI, the other the PVC. The coupler has a stainless steel band around the entire surface. The Fernco just uses a clamp on each end. I'm sure the pros will have some more advice on you project. It is always refreshing when questions are asked before the project begins.:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

REmove the lead, AND the brass wiping adapter. Then insert a short steel nipple with the thread cut off one end, or a PVC male adapter, which is easier but less durable, and then continue with the PVC.

BeautyFish

Reaction score
Is it likely that I will be able to just turn the threaded adapter to remove? Is there any prep or special materials or tools? I'm assuming I can cut the pipe and then remove the brass fitting with a large wrench. I just want to be careful with the old cast iron.

Attachments

• BrassJoint.jpg
    BrassJoint.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 377

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Fernco Couplings

Gary Swart:....""Fernco". These make the connections, but are not to be used above the ground.".......Just some information, that is not quite true. Fernco makes a shielded coupling that can be used in this situation. You also have to watch using No-Hub couplings, the outside diameter of pvc and cast iron are not the same, info. only. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
name

Fernco is a tradename, not a type of connector, although it has almost become a generic term for ALL "rubber tube with clamps on the ends" for joining pipe. Some inspectors allow No-Hub couplings on plastic pipe, but many, if not most, will require the "transition" coupling with a label specifying that it is sized for whatever pipe being used.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Fernco is a tradename, not a type of connector, although it has almost become a generic term for ALL "rubber tube with clamps on the ends" for joining pipe. Some inspectors allow No-Hub couplings on plastic pipe, but many, if not most, will require the "transition" coupling with a label specifying that it is sized for whatever pipe being used.

Yep what HJ said. This is right from my code book.

Plastic Pipe. Joints between plastic pipe and non-plastic material shall be made only with an appropriate type adaptor.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As HJ points out, the term "Fernco" has become a generic term for the neoprene sleeve with hose clamps on the ends. I suppose I could have been a bit more accurate and complete with my original post by making that point more clearly.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks