Tub vent advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

unplumbed

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty with the vents in my bathroom. Lots of windows. I have found out (via inspector) that island vents for sinks are only allowed in kitchen islands and that a loop vent for my tub will not work. I live in Seattle.
It is my intent (now) to tie my tub vent into my shower vent (1 1/2"). I need a few things clarified before I proceed.
If my trap leg is 2" I can have a maximum trap/vent distance of 5 feet, correct?
If the trap leg is 1 1/2" my maximum distance will be 3 and a half feet, correct?
Or maybe not, I heard that it was reduced to three feet in the 2009 UPC.
Regarding the shower vent that I inted to tie into. It is 1 1/2" ABS. My code check book (Taunton Press) says that a 1 1/2" vent can handle 8 DFU's (no WC's). A shower and tub are worth 2 DFU's each for a total of 4 DFU's on a 8 DFU rated vent.
Can I go from a 2" trap leg to a 1 1/2" vent?
My plan for the tub vent: Install a 2" trap leg; tie in a 1 1/2" vent line run through some floor joists up through a sill plate ; then through a few studs (beneath one of my many windows) and tie into the shower vent.
In other words: the tub trap leg will run North the vent piping will tie in downstream from the trap and head West, 90 up through the sill plate, head vertical about a foot and a half then 90 to ~ horizontal and head North (at a slope of 1/4" per foot) through several studs (4 will be load bearing and nailed together) then I will throw in anther 90 and head vertical with the tub vent, and about 40 inches above the floor (something about 6 inches above highest fixture flood level) I will 45 my way into the shower vent.
Thanks in advance.

Unplumbed

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks