Double Y joint?

Users who are viewing this thread

BeerMonger

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am in the process of installing a dishwasher in a home that did not have a DW. I am trying to hook up the discharge runoff hose on a double sink, single trap setup. I have the tailpiece but there does not seem to be enough room to fit above the trap because of the T piece that connects a pipe to the second sink.

Can I just use a Double Y joint above the trap and install the dw tailpiece on one side and cap the top?

This way I would have the dw discharge going down one side and each sink basin using it's own outlet on the double Y joint. Just not sure about capping the top of the one side for the dw dishcharge.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Double_Y_fitting.jpg
    Double_Y_fitting.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 3,291

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can install the dishwasher tailpiece horizontally, vertically, or built in to the end outlet. More detailed responses to follow; I'm sure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dw

If you have room enough below the tee for the "Y", then you also have room enough for a "slip joint" tailpiece which takes the place of a section of tubing. if you have sch. 40 trap and piping, which you would need to install that "Y", then just move the trap adapter down near the trap and replace the riser with the branch tailpiece.

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score

Yeah, I definately needed visual aids with that reply. If the height of the trap arm does not allow for the use of slip fit dishwasher tailpiece in the vertical position immediately above the trap arm:

slipfitsmall.jpg

Then it might be possible to install it horizontally:

horizontalsmall.jpg

Or go with a dishwasher inlet made into the branch outlet, as that will raise the dishwaher inlet above what one could get using a slip fit tailpiece.

endoutletsmall.jpg

...and yes, a pic of the OPs setup would be most helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

BeerMonger

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. It looks like installing it horizontally may just be my best bet. Sorry the pic is so bad.

beermonger-01.jpg

BeerMonger

Reaction score
That or a high loop above the top of the DW. I think I will just go with a high loop. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks