13.5 inch rough in toilet replacement help

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbbob

Reaction score
Hi - jut about to order a new toilet to replace the original 1920's two piece unit which is now failing. The existing rough in has the bolts at 13.5 inches from the wall. Obviously i can just put the new unit on the existing bolt placement, but it will 'push' the toilet more into the room than necessary. And I'll have a reasonable amount of space behind the tank (about 2.5 inches buy my count).

Is there an easy way to avoid this and 'move' the bolts back? I'm going to assume it's the same 3 inch cast iron flange i've found in the other baths around the house.

Maybe the answer is not in moving the bolts but in an installation kit? I know Toto makes some units (like the Lloyd) to accodomate odd rough ins...

Thanks, Matt

abak_lloyd.jpg

TOTO Lloyd with the softclose Maple seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
at the plumbing supply house

ask for anoffset closet flange. sioux chief makes one that will give you up to 11/2" in any direction. it,s in abs or pvc. adapt it to cast iron 3 or 4" pipe
check local codes on material change. good luck

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

It is not as easy to adapt a PVC/ABS flange of any kind to a cast iron bend, as you seem to think it is. The Toto adapter is not something you can use with any toilet. You have to buy the toilet that comes with it. If your toilet does not come in a 14" rough in, then you are going to have a major problem moving it back.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
i agree hj

it sure is easy for me though ! the problem is we have no idea what skills or experiance the poster has. and i don,t want to always say call a plumber.
i wan,t to help, but it,s a catch -22 ps ,doesen,t everyone have i snap cutter? :D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bend

By that, I assume you mean you would cut off the cast-iron bend and transition to PVC/ABS/? If I were going to that much work, I would just shorten the bend and replace it with cast-iron after elongating the hole backwards.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the flange is in good shape, by far the easiest thing is to get a 14" rough-in toilet. Some of the Toto line uses their Unifit adapter. The toilet comes with a standard 12" piece, but you can buy the optional 14" one. It would be nice if they let you choose which one you wanted so you didn't have the 12" one left over, but they don't. Other brands have some limited versions designed for a 14" rough-in. It would likely be less expensive to use a 14" toilet than moving the flange. Note, at least on the Toto Unifit adapter, it is the same toilet, so it doesn't stick out into the room further. Some (most) of the other 14" rough toilets replace the tank with a thicker one, and the whole thing sticks out further. This may have good or bad ramifications for your install. A couple of extra inches of room in front of the Toto may be a distinct advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

plumbbob

Reaction score
wanted the least work (for now)

Thanks for all the ideas. Given the tile floor in the bathroom, I was trying not to cut in and replace the flange (or for that matter just simply cut and move it back). I like the unifit idea, but we're going with style over install and choosing a model that isn't adaptable.

I guess we'll just have that gap until the bathroom is redone in a few years.

Thanks for all the help. Matt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks