Gallionella ferruginea...

Users who are viewing this thread

splintergroupie

Reaction score
Hey, guys, a question occurred to me that i haven't seen asked anywhere, if that can be possible.

I was considering the pros and cons of H202 v. chlorine for sterilization, when i realized that H202 has a pH of about 4 and bleach about 12. Since my water has been tested to be about 6.8-7.0 pH, i'm wondering if using the bleach would raise the pH enough to obviate the AN tank that was recommended for my water. From what i've read, my slightly acidic pH levels are ideal for using Killer Chlorine. (Speedbump, you prefer H202, IIRC?)

Do you guys take the change in pH by the chlorine into account when you spec an AN filter? What would happen to the carbon tank if i added enough chlorine in a chlorinator to raise the pH to 7 (for sure) or a little more?

Colleen - not a chemist yet

PS: Haven't had a chance to shock well yet, but i'm still engaging in lateral thinkin'.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
At the peak demand flow rate of the house, you'd need a lot of chlorine to see an increase in pH and the carbon filter you'd have to use would be huge to remove it.

And a backwashed acid neutralizing filter is a much better choice than using a solution feeder. The feeder requires a correctly sized retention tank and takes quite a bit of babying sitting and takes up much more space and is more expensive. I refuse to sell them and instead I use a special chlorination system that has a max SFR of 21 gpm and a 12" x 65" bottom drain mixing tank that is equivalent to a 120 gal retention tank; that costs less than a solution feeder and retention tank. And there is no mixing solution every so often. You add pellets about once every 2-3 months.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks