Old Toilet starts filling tank when I use the hose

Users who are viewing this thread

Bosun

Reaction score
I have an old wall-mount toilet that starts slowly filling the tank when the hose or washing machine (two floors lower) are used. In a few minutes, it is dripping a stream of water out of the tank and onto the floor. What causes this, and how can I fix it?

I am considering replacing it with a Carlyle/14" unifit, as the rough-in is approx 15+ inches. (1924 install--toilet has never seen a plunger, but the 7-8 gallon flush is wasteful and wakes the kids.)

ruh_2.jpg

ruh_4.jpg

ruh_5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
it is dripping a stream of water out of the tank and onto the floor. What causes this, and how can I fix it?

The shutoff needs some work inside the tank, and check to make sure there is a working overflow tube in the tank. Normally when the water gets too high, it goes into 14" Unifit works well in old homes like yours.
Make sure the water shutoff at the wall is at least 7" from center to center or it may hit the back of the bowl. With a 15" rough, you will have about 1-3/4" behind the porcelain.

The Soiree and Guinevere will work with 5-1/2" on the shutoff.

Bosun

Reaction score
What and where?

What type of valve is recommended? People like me treat these valves as generic devices, yet is seems some are preferred by those in the field.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The fill valve?
If it supplies from the bottom of the tank, then some use either a Fluidmaster 400A or the Korky 528 fill valve
You can also get a brass ballcock that shuts off smoothly.

The pictures above were sent by a customer with a similar wall mounted tank, and 14" rough.
We will be installing Toto Guinevere with 14" unifit kits on Monday.

Last edited:

Bosun

Reaction score
Wow--the pics are spot on!

Nice addition with the pics. The water supply is on the floor--about 6" left I think. How hard is it to install one of these myself? Tile floor. I have a decent drill--need special bits/anchors?

Should I try to fix, or just replace with expensive fancy Toto, which was the plan when we remodel in a few months anyway... (opinions?)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A traditional toilet doesn't need any new holes anywhere (assuming it doesn't interfere with the water supply).

Most Toto toilets are traditional, but some including the Aquia series and any that use the Unifit require some additional mounting holes in the floor. So, it depends on what the floor's made of. If tile, you may need at the minimum a carbide drill bit. Some tile is extremely hard, and a diamond bit may be required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks